Too much oil pressure from turbo feed line.

mc575

My car has a high pressure oil pump. 40 psi at idle and 60 at full rpm. I noticed a slight leak at exhaust wheel oil seal. I have read about installing a restrictor before turbo. The line going to turbo is currently 1/4 inch. The drain is stock Oem . I'm running a te-60. Any input would be great , thanks.

about 30 and 50-55 when hot. here's a pic of reducer .

oilreducer_zps3c57b5a9.jpg

My car has a high pressure oil pump. 40 psi at idle and 60 at full rpm. I noticed a slight leak at exhaust wheel oil seal. I have read about installing a restrictor before turbo. The line going to turbo is currently 1/4 inch. The drain is stock Oem . I'm running a te-60. Any input would be great , thanks.

The high pressure pump is a bad idea. You'll probably develop other oil leaks as well. Stock volume pumps are good well into the 9's.

The high pressure pump is a bad idea. You'll probably develop other oil leaks as well. Stock volume pumps are good well into the 9's.
Engine was built before my purchase of car. I'm told by two different race shops that the line will need a reducer installed.
I just want to hear what turbo regal owners have done.

My guess is if you use that oil restrictor for your turbo feed, you will kill the bearings is a short time.

The oil going into the turbo is not just for lubrication, but it need lots of flow for cooling the bearings.

Since you provide no info on the oil or filter you are using, hard give any comment other than most all turbo Buick engines use stock oil pumps, NOT high volume pumps.

With hundreds of street and track engine builds, we NEVER use the HV pump gears.

Engine was built and installed by a well know turbo regal builder. Everyone here knows the name. I use rotella oil 15/40 and a oem filter.

The internal clearances of the turbo will regulate the volume based on pressure and viscosity. It's possible you have too much oil going through. I wouldn't want to see less than 30psi at the turbo inlet while spooled ever. Unfortunately you can't easily restrict the oil at the cartridge and get the pressure after the restriction. Try an .080" restriction. I would never go below .060" on a journal turbo. I've seen others take bad advice and use a .040" restriction on a journal and have failure. A non journal turbo doesn't need a lot of oil. It does need some for cooling as Nick mentioned. Keep in mind flow is based on open cross sectional area and the smallest cross sectional area will be the regulation point whether it be the cartridge clearances added together or a pre cartridge restriction. Ive seen many suggest smaller feed lines but that's foolish since even a -4 has a lot more cross sectional area than the fittings that feed the line. You cant make up laws of physics. It is what it is.

I know from experience with my turbo Hayabusa build that sometimes depending on the turbo and the application that a restrictor will need to be used. It will not hurt the turbo in any way as long as its not to small obviously. You may have to play around with different sizes of restrictors until you get it just right. Also be sure your turbo isn't in need of a rebuilt and its seeping past the seal.

Ok i drilled it to the .080 and it still weeps . Any other suggestions ???? Or do i need to get it rebuilt? Its frustrating as the turbo only has maybe 2k miles on it.

Very possible it needs a rebuild. Make at difference if the oil is hot or cold. I wouldn't go any smaller than .080.

I've had a high volume pump for several years and it came with 3 different strength springs and I quickly had the lightest spring put in and oil pressure is 15 psi at hot idle. My engine builder used the strongest spring as recommended by the pump manufacturer and I think the hot idle was in the 50's or some crazy number like that.

I use Brad Penn 10-30 oil and Wix 51049 oil filters.

My engine has a precision turbo and engine front cover with tall Hv pump gears. It has a little higher oil pressure than I would like. 40psi hot idle 80psi wot at 6000rpm. I have no restrictor on my hpq 71 journal bearing turbo. No issues

Not sure if hot or cold makes a difference. Lets say I go foe a 30 mile ride and stay out of boost I notice maybe a tablespoon of oil on frt of valve cover .

did the rebuilt or new turbo cure this problem or did you end up pulling that high volume oil pump?

I rebuilt the turbo with a kit from turbo kits in ct. Not the cheap kits on eBay then I installed a .080 reducer between feed and turbo.
It cured my oil leak into exhaust problem. Also if you rebuild turbo get the 360 washer option if asked.

I've had a high volume pump for several years and it came with 3 different strength springs and I quickly had the lightest spring put in and oil pressure is 15 psi at hot idle. My engine builder used the strongest spring as recommended by the pump manufacturer and I think the hot idle was in the 50's or some crazy number like that.

I use Brad Penn 10-30 oil and Wix 51049 oil filters.

Finally broke down and ordered an adjustable oil pressure regulator from TA Performance and oil pressure is closer to levels I'm comfortable with.