Too Much Boost

phil conrad

I have an all stock 87. The other day I noticed "pinging". I decided to install a boost gauge today. I am getting 20 lbs of boost. I still have the non adjustable wastegate. Yikes. I have replaced the boost hoses and controll solenoid. Still 20 lbs. Any ideas where I should look next ? Thanks :(

.:eek:
See if the "Y" is plugged with grit or something.

Also, the wastegate actuator maybe leaky/holey or otherwise not working. Might put a vac hose to it and see if it holds vacume and pressure. A brake bleeding hand pump would help. I'd think the actuator went bad. With a low setting on an air compressor, you should be able to get the actuator to move by applying psi

Don't do that 20 PSI thing no more!

Untill you get that problem nailed, don't drive WOT or close to it. Pinging you can hear is too late to help pinging, just my .02 - BB

Originally posted by phil conrad
I have an all stock 87. The other day I noticed "pinging". I decided to install a boost gauge today. I am getting 20 lbs of boost. I still have the non adjustable wastegate. Yikes. I have replaced the boost hoses and controll solenoid. Still 20 lbs. Any ideas where I should look next ? Thanks :(

Geez!!! you can audibly hear the detonation!!!??? You better quit unless you want to rebuild soon.:eek:

Did the too much boost occur before you put on a new "Y" hose or after?

Isolate the wastegate solenoid and rule out actuator problems by looping a hose directly from the turbo compressor to the wastegate actuator. If the actuator is good, this should lower your max boost to pump gas levels (13 or so).

If the Wategate actuator proves to be good in the test above, now you have to make sure the orifice in the "Y" isn't too small (it should be .050" inside at the smallest point). If the "Y" and the actuator check out and the lines are good, the solenoid is where you look next.

A scan tool should give a code if the solenoid isn't operating correctly. If you were to have capped the other hose bib in the solenoid (which is common for people to mistakenly do) the boost should be lower so that isn't your problem.