too much alky

wicked6

I am currently running 22-23# of boost on the pte52 with the SMC alky kit set to 10 pump speed as I was getting knock at pump speed of 7. My Trap speeds were pretty much the same 108-109. Should I have set it a lil lower? Am I pumping too much alky and bogging the engine and causing me to lose my top end? Shouldn't I be trapping high with my combo? Or should I increase boost? And if so what is the limit for retard that anyone cares to go? Personally I prefer 0* retard!

I was running 93 octane, 100% denatured and fp set at 50# line off.

Thanx

That trap speed sounds low to me. In my sig I ran 107.5mph(108.4 as a best) with my stock combo on about 21-22psi boost with a 100 octane Thrasher chip.
You could try a higher timing chip just for kicks.
What were your O2's at the end of the run?
I have my SMC kit cranked as high as she will go with no bog at all using my stock turbo, so I don't see how it could be too much alky in your system.
Alky makes your car run quite a bit richer due to the extra alky fuel your are injecting. I had to crank my fuel pressure down to get any mph out of my car.
My buddy with a TA49/36lb/THDP/FMIC was running 39psi vac off to get his car to lean out back to the mid 700's O2, and ended up running 115mph through the traps on 92 octane/SMC.
Need to know your O2's first I guess........
:)

Try raising the turn on point. I have mine coming on around 14psi or so. I can only run 15-16psi without because of the crappy gas up here in MD. But I can run 22-23psi with the alky and 0 knock. I run the pump speed on 9.

Best so far for me with the stock turbo, intercooler, injectors, downpipe, cat-back has been 112.8mph.

My 02s where high 700s to low 800s.
I will try decreasing the fp to 48# line off and pump speed at 9.

I was running 39psi vac off at the end of the season. (Stock injectors)The car just kept getting faster. My alky is turned up all the way with the turn on point about 11psi or so. Alky really cools the EGT's, so I had to lean it out. :p

Trap speeds

Looks like the FP is too high, even at 48 w/ 009's. The limit I see here is the low timing on a chip burnt for 93 octane and using alky. The idea is to tune the alky w/ a race chip, so the added timing comes into play. That, along w/ high boost will put the HP up to a point where you will see an increase in MPH.
For a real performance boost, I'd go to work on that short time.;)

Chuck,
Have a similiar combo but run a pt51. My SMC kit is set for pump speed of 7 with 21# and no knock. My FP, with 009's, is around 38 psi. 02's are 790-800 @ WOT. THe chip is 23 24 20 20 (timing table from 1st to 4th). However if I run more boost 22#+ I begin to set off the knock detector. I think 50# of FP is way TOO MUCH. Some other local GN's are running 009's somewhere in the mid to high 30's FP on 93 Exxon @ 800 02mV. I've also seen low 30's with 009's at 28# with 118 Maximum octane.
HTH

Mike Banas
87GN