to stroke or not to stroke

86bluet

will it ever run right
your opinions and testimonies about using a stroker rotating kit, should I or am I asking for problems and more expenses, hurt the motor with 165k on it time to rebuild only going to do this once.
thanks again

The parts a somewhat more expensive, and the labor is also.

The rotating assembly must be mocked you with the cam in place to assure NO interference with the block or any other items. This can add from $200-400 in labor.

but is it worth the extra money? does it make a big diff over stock stroke, I putt a duttwieler TAmotor in 87 GN holy crap no boost and it was fast, already have to buy pistons, will get better rods and crank with kit do they come balanced already or do I have to have that done myself,

Nick what would you build for around $5000 long block assembly I would finish and is the TAperformance intake worth the money over a ported stock w accufab doghouse, throttle body, rjc powerplate, and

If you're looking for more power id opt for a set of ported aluminum heads over adding 20ci via increased stroke. Heads will increase mass flow potential much more than 20ci.

planed on buying either champion alums or TAperf alums they seem the same but I would like some opions on either

if you have time to wait go w champion alum bc dealing w them takes patience. if i was redoing my motor again id do ta pert alum just because they are probably more readily accessible than champions. again thats buying new not used. rpe machine is doing my motor and he said stoker was the way to go. he said if you are building w a billet caps then the labor for a stroker isn't that bad but if you're doing a girdle then materials labor and time go up. i know each builder will have their own opinion on it. i would ask the builder what he would do and i would also go to a known tr guy.

In hindsight on my build I wish I would have went with aluminum heads instead irons but I would build a 4.1 before I stroked a 3.8. Thats just my opinion though.

your opinions and testimonies about using a stroker rotating kit, should I or am I asking for problems and more expenses, hurt the motor with 165k on it time to rebuild only going to do this once.
thanks again

If your rebuilding the engine and you choose to go with any steel crank it, the cost of the kit is the same, few more dollars to make it work so why not?? On the Full throttle site the cost is Identical between stock stroke and stroker kit so for the same parts cost it makes sense to me.... If your gonna do it then just do it

I went with a long rod stroker kit as I needed to upgrade to forged rotating anyway after splitting my stock piston and the only other change was larger roller cam for the bigger cubes. Same turbo, injectors everything else and I can honestly say night and day difference. It's a beast now. Pulls really hard at low boost. it's nice not having to push the motor to go fast. Yes I considered aluminum heads too but I drive mine all the time and heard of reliability issues with them, where as the stroker makes your car more reliable by going all forged, and gives you more power. I called champion about the heads and they didn't recommend them for daily driving. Just my experience.

Remember, the converter stall doesnt have to be as high on the stroker. This will allow you to run slightly bigger turbo with same stall. Swap to billet turbo with stroker and it gets better.
I spool my turbo instantly when rolling and it takes 1.5 seconds from dead stop to reach boost. While on the line(racing), it takes 2.8 seconds to hit 15psi.

I called champion about the heads and they didn't recommend them for daily driving. Just my experience.

Never heard that before. Only thing I can think of is they are less tolerant to overheating being aluminum otherwise I don't see any negatives. But then I can't imagine driving my GN as a DD though.

I have GN1's from champion.. doesnt matter if from them or TA still good quality stuff. Don't be skeert to driver them around on the street. Good quality engine builder will make it last. Generally the tune up will cause u grief..