To part or not to part out...

8sec-z

I bought a 1984 designers edition t type a while back. It has no motor, transmission, or shifter. As far as I can tell, it is complete otherwise. I don't have the time to restore it now. It has rust on the pass floorboard and a little on the doors and trunklid. 110,000 miles, black and silver. My question is should I part it out or sell it as it is because it may have "collectors" value?

Thanks for the opinions,
Brad

If it was me, I would just drop in a complete intercooled engine with a tranny. Then you have a car you can drive, and work on slowly. How much did you buy the car for? You could potentially make more on it in parts, but that sounds like its a good car to be on the road again.

If it was me, I would just drop in a complete intercooled engine with a tranny. Then you have a car you can drive, and work on slowly. How much did you buy the car for? You could potentially make more on it in parts, but that sounds like its a good car to be on the road again.

I was hoping to get $1500 out of it... Is it worth it?
Brad

Worth keeping it? Sounds like it to me. I would be curious to see some pics of the rust spots youre talking about, and pics of the car overall to get a sense of what condition it is in. A LOT of cars have the rust on the bottom of the doors, and a few still have the rust on the trunk lid. If the rust in bad on the pass side floorboard, that could suck. I would love to have the car if it was in pretty decent shape for 1500, depending on how bad the rust is. Money is a little tight over here though. lol

Hope that answers your question.

I am in Warsaw, IN.
The car is at a buddies shop 30 minutes west of me.
I will take pics this week when the weather dies down.
It is gray/black.
It has an uncracked dash, rear spoiler, etc.
Thanks
Brad

I would only part out a car if the body/frame was a complete mess. Someone out there would want to restore it.