To 1984 GN owners....

84GNwith87eng

People who have a 1984 GN, does your insurance company title your car as a 'Regal' and not a 'Grand National'? I know the 'Grand National Pkg' is an option for our cars and thus it was called a 'Regal Grand National', but let's say for instance your car is stolen. How do you prove you have the 'Grand National Pkg', giving you a lot more on an insurance claim?

Is this something you would have to tell your insurance ahead of time, that the car has this extra package?

Thanks

:D

The vin number tells them it's a turbo car. but you need to have a "agreed apon value" on the car or they will go by book value and that's almost nothing!

yea, they know its a turbo car...but the t-type coulda been turbo too...i guess i'll call and ask 'em...thanks people

Insure as a classic.

I have had several calssic cars and you need to get it insured for replacment value and it's very cheap by using classic car insurance.

Yea, I just talked to my insurance agent...i forgot that I just had liability on the car, so I bumped it up to comprehensive incase of theft or a deer (we get a lot in PA) :rolleyes: . He said if it was a total loss, they grab the vin/mileage statements and give the outright value of the car...

Out right value maybe much lower than you think. I would go with a classic car insurance company if you have a lot of money in the car and don't drive it alot.
If it's a every day driver that's another story

You know what the insurance company will do, give you the book value for an 84 Regal :mad: I have classic/collectors insurance through Condon & Skelly, in Maple Shade, NJ. There is a 3000 mile per year limit, it cannot be used on a daily basis, it must be kept in a garage and you must have another vehicle. There is another company I think it is Grundy, some of the guys in our club use them.

I had an 86 t type and they gave me the cheaper of kbb.com or nada.com don't remember which it was but one of the values was about 8000 and the other was about 3000 I was young and sligtly stupider than I am now and I got raped. so definitely go with classic car insurance.

call rally insurance and have them come out an apraize the car. it will cost 150 to do it so make sure the car is clean and as mint as it can be. i have state farm now agreed for $10,000 and the insurance card says regal, and my title says t-type but it is a grand national... as soon as i get done with my frame off resto i wil have it apraized and sign up with rally...

I got in a wreck a few years ago and the first adjuster wanted to total it. He looked up the value for a regular regal(about $1200). I had the supervisor come out and vwrify it was a GN and they raised the value to $6000. He said it was in my file now. I plan to get collector car insurance soon.

i know that rally knows when these cars have race parts in it. and has insurance for this as long as you have recipts for the parts. i havent heard this from hagerty though. ive been told to use rally from other gn owners.

About 15 years ago I had a friend who bought an 84 GN. When he tried to insure it they told him there was no Grand National option to insure it under. I believe he had to insure it under the T-Type option. There was the GN option for the 85-87 years though. Unfortunately, someone he made enemies with sugared his gas tank after he put a brand new engine in it so they totaled it out and only paid off the remaining balance of his loan.

that's why you have to tell your insurance company it has the 'Grand National Package', which was an option for that year. They try to play games with you and say it only titles as a regal, because it is called 'Regal Grand National'.

Don't let 'em pull a fast one on ya... :D

OneLethal87GN said:
About 15 years ago I had a friend who bought an 84 GN. When he tried to insure it they told him there was no Grand National option to insure it under. I believe he had to insure it under the T-Type option. There was the GN option for the 85-87 years though. Unfortunately, someone he made enemies with sugared his gas tank after he put a brand new engine in it so they totaled it out and only paid off the remaining balance of his loan.

Why would sugar total the car?

I was always under the impression that anything besides gas in the gas tank was a very bad idea. but I looked it up:the sugar dissolves into the gasoline, then travels along the fuel lines into the engine, where the heat of the vehicle's operations melts the sweetener into a dense sludge that gets into every nook and cranny of the engine. The sucrosed engine seizes and halts the vehicle in its tracks, but the real damage comes when the engine cools and the sludge hardens to rock-like consistency. Only the replacement of the entire engine will render the car fit for use again.

Is it possible for a t type to have the grand national package? There was a big debate over whether it had it or not when I wrecked my T and I tried saying it did because that would make them pay me what it actually was worth

Sorry to get off topic but i read the thing about the sugar and had to say something. Sugar in a gas tank does absolutely nothing! The most it will do is clog up the filters, and mabye make you drop the tank to clean out the remainder that is at the bottom of the tank. It will not junk the engine...Im not trying to burn anyone, but its the truth...

They did this on Mythbusters. It was surprising to see the motor continue to run considering all the crap they put in the tank. If it did stop, they cleaned out the filters and got running again... bleach, sugar etc.

gn84guy said:
Sorry to get off topic but i read the thing about the sugar and had to say something. Sugar in a gas tank does absolutely nothing! The most it will do is clog up the filters, and mabye make you drop the tank to clean out the remainder that is at the bottom of the tank. It will not junk the engine...Im not trying to burn anyone, but its the truth...

Agreed. It just one of those things that gets passed along as truth.