'Tis the season.....

DonnieShort

Who's Next?
With winter and colder air knocking on the door, 'tis the season to raise the fuel up some and lower the boost to keep your motor and your head gaskets happy until spring. Most of you know this but to the ones that don't, colder air requires more fuel due to the very cold and dense air charge associated with dropping temps outside. And we all know that the colder the air charge the more hp potential which equals the need for more fuel. So just a friendly reminder to raise the fuel and lower the boost a little:) This will make your motor and your wallet happy.

With winter and colder air knocking on the door, 'tis the season to raise the fuel up some and lower the boost to keep your motor and your head gaskets happy until spring. Most of you know this but to the ones that don't, colder air requires more fuel due to the very cold and dense air charge associated with dropping temps outside. And we all know that the colder the air charge the more hp potential which equals the need for more fuel. So just a friendly reminder to raise the fuel and lower the boost a little:) This will make your motor and your wallet happy.

Since I've been good when required...I expect some Mototron 60s under the Christmas Tree:biggrin:

why lower the boost? If you don't have knock....what's the problem?

I look forward to cold weather as my car is that much more powerful. As long as you can supply the gas to match the air and keep the ratio in spec have at it.

With winter and colder air knocking on the door, 'tis the season to raise the fuel up some and lower the boost to keep your motor and your head gaskets happy until spring. Most of you know this but to the ones that don't, colder air requires more fuel due to the very cold and dense air charge associated with dropping temps outside. And we all know that the colder the air charge the more hp potential which equals the need for more fuel. So just a friendly reminder to raise the fuel and lower the boost a little:)

Donnie,
I see in your sig you are using a WB and T-Pro.
What is a "typical" delta in AF you have seen in colder temps (say between 70 and 40F) under constant boost?
I realize fuel blend (besides temps) will effect AF readings as well.

Edit:
What range are you running, as in 11.2?
The delta is more critical in certain territory (I think)
Just trying to edumacate myself :smile:

why lower the boost? If you don't have knock....what's the problem?

I look forward to cold weather as my car is that much more powerful. As long as you can supply the gas to match the air and keep the ratio in spec have at it.

Lowering the boost obviously reduces the risk of leaning out in cold temps if your fuel hasn't been adjusted. Those who know this don't need a reminder, the one's who know this have already compensated for the temp change. This is primarily for the newer guys who may not be as experienced with these cars. I always see posts this time of year over blown head gaskets or getting severe knock all of a sudden and they don't know why and this is usually the reason. which is why I posted this.

Jeryl- I ususally don't see any difference in normal condition afr's until 42º and lower then it usually will go from 14.xx:1 to 15.xx:1 With the TPro and speed density it uses the IAT to compensate for temperature changes so I don't see a real big afr swing. But in the Air Temp page I will add in a little more fuel at the 41º range and under. Under boost with the TPro and AFR tracking, afr's stays rock solid at my target setting which is 11.2

Lowering the boost obviously reduces the risk of leaning out in cold temps if your fuel hasn't been adjusted. Those who know this don't need a reminder, the one's who know this have already compensated for the temp change. This is primarily for the newer guys who may not be as experienced with these cars. I always see posts this time of year over blown head gaskets or getting severe knock all of a sudden and they don't know why and this is usually the reason. which is why I posted this.

Jeryl- I ususally don't see any difference in normal condition afr's until 42º and lower then it usually will go from 14.xx:1 to 15.xx:1 With the TPro and speed density it uses the IAT to compensate for temperature changes so I don't see a real big afr swing. But in the Air Temp page I will add in a little more fuel at the 41º range and under. Under boost with the TPro and AFR tracking, afr's stays rock solid at my target setting which is 11.2

Donnie,
Thanks for the post and education.
Even though I have this car for a few years, I am STILL a newbie as I learn somehting every day .......... plus this is the first time the car has been running as well as it does. ;)