Tire questions..........

1987BuickGN

Just a member
Ok , wheels and air bags ordered. Rear 15x8 with 3.5 backspacing. I love the look of the BFG Comp TA Drag Radials, but not sure they are needed (for me) very stock car, but loooooove the look. Looking at the most 300 miles a year so wear is a non issue. Will the drag radials on the street perform well as far as street manners go. Can you run normal street tire pressures, or are they tailored more towards lower air pressures? Oh yeah, and car will NOT be driven in weather conditions such as rain. Will I get the same look from the regular Comp TA?

Lastly, what fits/looks best on rear;

275-60r15s or

275-50r15 ?

15x7 on front with same 3.5 backspacing. Do not want the skinney look, so what tire fits best here?

225/60r15?

235??

The BFG DR's work fine as street tires at the recommended pressures. Run them at 35psi on the street, and they'll do just as well as regular radials. They even do OK in the wet while they still have some tread. They don't handle standing water, but they'll get you home on wet pavement if you're careful.

personal preference, the 275-60 will be taller so will probably fill the wheel well better. Front tires use the 235/60 on a 15x7 wheel

DRAG RADIALS WORK AT THE TRACK, NOT ON THE STREET UNLESS ITS A NICELY PREPPED ROAD, FOR TRACTION USE ET DRAGS OR SOME ET STREETS

Tires

Hi!
As always, I'm gonna disagree with you guys. Nittos have served me well on the dragstrip. I know you guys like Drag Radials and such, but I have had difficulties with these. To each his own, I guess.
Dale

MT Drag Radials

A couple of guys are using the MT drag radials and getting some pretty impressive 1.6 and 1.5 sixty foot times. The tires don't seem to have any ill effects on the street and traction doesn't seem to be an issue. One of our club members Woody (AZGN) runs them on his ten second GN and drives out to the track on them. He is using the 275-60-15 on 8 inch centerline wheels with a 4 inch backspace.

i just mounted a pair of 275/60/15 BFGs onto stock GN wheels. the stock wheels are 15x7.
the 275/60 are almost 2 inches taller than the 275/50.
275/60/15 is a 28 inch tall tire and will completely fill up the visibile wheel well.
the 275/50 are only 26inch tall.
the 275/50 are also .5" wider than the 60s.

i have been driving around with the 275/60s for a few days now. there is A LOT more understeer (need a new rear sway bar) and if you want to get on the gas around a turn, prepare to hear the tires rub.

Verdict is in......

275-60s are on. Look good. Air bags are in too. Hit a much of a dip and the right side barks at cha!..........Dad gum it!

Verdict is in......

275-60s are on. Look good. Air bags are in too. Hit much of a dip and the right side barks at cha!..........Dad gum it!