tire pressure, slicks, innertubes, pondering some thoughts

wb's87

willrock
I have been thinking (maybe overthinking?) about a few things.

I just bought my first set of slicks, they can be run without tubes but tubes are recommended. Hmmmm? So...what is the difference? Does the tire react differently with or without a tube? I would think that with a tube at low air pressure the wheel would have less tendency to spin on the tire bead. Is it just a safety issue or is there a technological advantage or disadvantage with or without a tube?

What about total rollout? Without a tube I would think rollout would be easier to equalize. Having the air pushing directly on the tire, instead of the pressure from the tube.

How important is rollout and how do you figure it out as the temps change, air pressure is adjusted for track conditions, etc?
I mounted my new slicks (without tubes) and at 15PSI they are 1-1/2" different in total circumference at ambient temp. I am really disappointed with such a large difference. I'm not sure what to do as I'm thinking the stress this could cause on my differential, axles and if the car will launch straight? Maybe I'm overthinking? But that's why I'm on here asking.

Thanks in advance for any comments, Bill Brooks

you overthought it and went away from what actually happens

pressure is pressure , in a tube or not it still does the same thing

if you run tubes they do react better but with tubes the tire needs to be screwed to the rim because a when the tire spins would take the tube with it and compromise the valve ,
slicks will move considering they are only aired 12-14psi
ive mark my drag radials run with 19psi-21psi and they have spun a half a turn inone day of racing , usually 2-3" every hit
also without tubes slicks tend to loose air and arent as consistent round to round

just wondering why slicks ? The Mt DR's have been proven to run in the 3's 1/8

as for runout ..it is important to check
the slicks should have been shipped paired within a little bit of each other
1.5" !!! i'd contact your seller and get that straightened out

heres a thread on stretching the smaller tire to match but i don't know about fixing 1.5"
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f100/runout-slicks-how-61056/

the MT drag radial pros are only available 275/60-15 but they work and none of the headaches of slicks

Last edited:
The reason I wanted to use slicks was because the ET class that I run in only allows slick tired cars no drag radials or street tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just screw rims to tires an run 15 psi then lower to needed psi tire pressure