tire pressure for car trailer

evil_gn

House Of Bling
its been a while since i checked them and i cant remember what the pressure is supposed to be for a loaded car trailer.

for local stuff, i dont worry about it too much, but for 700 miles i guess i should look at it.

its a 18 foot open deck steel trailer if that matters.

i want to say the dealer told me 40 psi.

I run 35psi in mine. I worry that running much more will build excessive heat and cause a blow out as the psi increases with heat.

Originally posted by evil_gn
its been a while since i checked them and i cant remember what the pressure is supposed to be for a loaded car trailer.

for local stuff, i dont worry about it too much, but for 700 miles i guess i should look at it.

its a 18 foot open deck steel trailer if that matters.

i want to say the dealer told me 40 psi.

Depends entirely on what load range the tires are. If They're load range B (standard car tire), then 36-38 would be good.

If they're load range C (standard light duty car hauler tire), then you will be safe going upwards of 40-42#.

If they're load range D (standard enclosed 20+' trailer tire) then you'll want nothing less than 55, preferably 60+

If they're load range E, (not bloody likely), then nothing less than 65#.

i would think they are b or c

i will look tomorrow when i load the car up

thanks!

:D

Mine are load range C with a max inflation of 50 psi. Your max inflation will be molded into the tire. The maximum inflation is for the full load rating of the tire also molded into the tire. You can play it safe if you don't know the load and inflate to max. I usually inflate 48-50 psi.

Mike

hmm, my new trailer has tires that had max 35 psi molded on them, but they were inflated to 40#, so I lowered them to 33#.
They are radial tires so I didn't want to inflate them higher than the max rating....should I?