Tips on removing my front bumper because of rattle.

Turbodan

I have been complaining about my front end making a rattling sound since I bought it. Sounds like a can of pennies. Well i finally narrowed it down. If you smack your hand on the front bumper you can hear a rattling sound. I laid under the car and fished my finger back there and felt something like a bolt. Seems to be my plastic molding on the front of the bumper has screws inside that are loose. Any tips on removing a front bumper? Is it pretty much a straight foward process?

take off the turn signal lamps. then on the bumper shocks there is 4 nuts on each one hold the bumper up with a jack and some rags. take off the nuts and pull the bumper forward not scratching the bumper fillers, then lay the bumper on a piece of cardboard or a rug face town. then take off all the nuts holding the bumper reienforcement, then it will expose the impact strip where the nuts are loose, then fix.

If it's the impact strip (and if mine was original?) they aren't threaded nuts. The strip has posts on the back that go through holes in the bumper. They're held on with some things that look like washers and they're just a press fit. I bought new ones for mine and they're loose already. Going to try some emblem tape on the ends.

Paul Clark said:
If it's the impact strip (and if mine was original?) they aren't threaded nuts. The strip has posts on the back that go through holes in the bumper. They're held on with some things that look like washers and they're just a press fit. I bought new ones for mine and they're loose already. Going to try some emblem tape on the ends.

Did yours sound like a can of pannies everytime you hit a bump? I will keep that in mind when I pull it off to look at it.

I never drive over bumps with my car. :cool:
I've got a part number for those washer/clip thingies if you need it.
Talk to me off list if you want.

Just to back up a bit, is the strip loose?
If not, how about those vertical "bumperettes"?
To me, that always sounded like they were talking about girl bumpers.
Maybe a nut fell off of one of those. Or maybe you have pannies in your bumper. :cool:
Anyway, the things I was talking about are called "Pushnut Bolt Retainers".
Company is Au-ve-co. Part # is 12259 - unless I got the wrong size. They matched the originals, though. M8 - 1.25. 24mm O.D.
If that's what you need, let me know. I had to buy a whole box of 'em.
Be glad to send you some.

Paul Clark said:
Just to back up a bit, is the strip loose?
If not, how about those vertical "bumperettes"?
To me, that always sounded like they were talking about girl bumpers.
Maybe a nut fell off of one of those. Or maybe you have pannies in your bumper. :cool:
Anyway, the things I was talking about are called "Pushnut Bolt Retainers".
Company is Au-ve-co. Part # is 12259 - unless I got the wrong size. They matched the originals, though. M8 - 1.25. 24mm O.D.
If that's what you need, let me know. I had to buy a whole box of 'em.
Be glad to send you some.

the strip is not loose. I was at Aggressive Auto the other day getting my new springs and shocks. While Bruce was under the car I told him about the pannies :rolleyes: He started searching around. then he was tapping on my bumper and then we found the problem. Not sure how many i will need. I will try to get bumper off this week. try and get this fixed soon. Drives me crazy hearing that noise.

Hey Paul, How many of the clips are on the bumper strip? Is there a website for the company that sells the clips? Phone number?

Can't remember.
Still seems funny that the strip isn't loose if the clips are off.
I got mine at a car paint store.
If I had to do it over again, I think I'd maybe just use some glue or possibly emblem tape. The posts on mine were the same material as the strip. Bet it would work to push them through the holes/slots in the bumper, grab a post with some pliers or vice grips, and while pulling put a pull/zip tie tight around the base - maybe?

I pulled my front bumper off yesterday. I had about 8 bolts that had nuts that were extremely loose. some bolts were missing nuts completely. no wonder this thing was making tons of noise. I ended up purchasing 2 new bumper stud plates. both bumper mounts were missing a bolt. Hopefully have this back together this weekend. Should be alot quieter.