tips on changing u joint

Mike70gtx

This u-joint on the 87 looks different than what I'm familiar with. The new one came with clips but I don't see them on the old one. The two ends that are in the drive shaft look like there is a pin going through them but the new ones don't have a hole. What's the secret? (I'm sure it will be something simple that I've over looked.)

The original u-joints have plastic injected through the holes that you see which are holding the caps in place. I have always heated around the cap with a torch until the plastic just starts to ooze out of the holes and straddle the u jount across a vise while whacking the yoke with a brass hammer (doesn't nick the yokes as badly as a regular metal hammer). You don't have to clean the old plastic out of the groove prior to installing the new joint, but it does pick out pretty easily. The c-clips supplied with the new u-joint clip on the inside edges of the yoke. Good Luck!

My answer is kinda like what turbo ta says except.I use a press or a c clamp with some sockets.And heat it until it starts pushing out with slight pressure.

If you do end up beating them out support around the end well and don't pull out the 10 pound sledge or you might bend something. But any halfway normal beating with a regular size hhammer if it's supported shouldn't do any damage.

Originally posted by Mike70gtx

As mentioned use a torch, even using a press they're about impossible to remove.

Thou, I heat them until the plasitc ooze, about stops, ie ~4" or so extending out.

Oh, one more thing...don't get any body parts in the line of fire of the caps when/if you heat them. I have had a few over the years "pop" and fly out when you whack them with the hammer!

Thanks alot guys. So it was plastic that I saw? My old Chilton book was not very clear. Thanks again. I hope I can get this rebuild fired up next week after about a 1 1/2 year project.