Tinted T Tops safe??

I'm thinking about doing that too - they let a LOT of heat through, and the less I let in, the better my A/C will work. I found a place that sells T-Tops shades.. pretty expensive though. I plan on making some inserts out of 1/4" particle board and headliner material.

Let me know how that works out Fred..

I asked about having the sunroof in my old Mustang tinted and the guy told me that tinting it could cause it to shatter on a really hot sunny day. Don't know if it's true or not, but not worth it to find out the hard way to me...
My t-tops have mirror tint on them which is pretty much clear, but I imagine reflects quite a bit of heat.
I too plan on making a set of shades when I make a trunk kit.

Originally posted by Jon01
I asked about having the sunroof in my old Mustang tinted and the guy told me that tinting it could cause it to shatter on a really hot sunny day. Don't know if it's true or not, but not worth it to find out the hard way to me...
My t-tops have mirror tint on them which is pretty much clear, but I imagine reflects quite a bit of heat.
I too plan on making a set of shades when I make a trunk kit.

The tint shop told me that too, I ignored them. My car sits in an air conditioned basement 99.98% of the time anyway.

WHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Sorry I don't buy it.
The tint material is very flexible. Shouldn't be any problems what so ever.

If it would cause problems on the T-Top, it would cause problems on the front/back window as well.

The tint shop is lazy. We've tinted everthing from t-tops, windsheild, sunroofs, to lexan headlight covers.
I had the T's on my GN tinted for three years with 5% and no problems.
They are very tricky to do though, They are convexed so it makes it very difficult to do in one piece with no flaws. Any good tint guy should be able to handle it.

FWIW the glass on the roof is the same as the glass in the doors and back window (tempered).

I had my t-tops tinted with 5% too. I took it off while "attempting" to make my own shades. It seems it's hard to find something that will not fall down on your head. I had no problems with the tint though. Made the other tint darker too.

I had mine tinted since '90. It sat in the Florida sun for a couple of years. It had 15% on it when I bought it and I had the 5% put on top of that. No problems.