Timing variation from chip to monitor

Dominic

Timing in chip is 20* and all of my monitors are reading 28*. I tried 3 diff chips and 3 diff monitors/scanmaster and they are all showing me that the timing is 8 degrees off exactly every time. Example if i put a chip in that is supposed to be 20* at WOT the monitor will read 28* and if i put a chip in that is 25* timing on the monitor is 33* This issue is also causing a lean condition. Car idles, runs, and drives fine but is lean at WOT and i am seeing a little knock. I tried all the basics and nothing changes it. BLM's, O2, and MAF are all where they are supposed to be too.

Anyone else ever had this issue? Any input?

Timing in chip is 20* and all of my monitors are reading 28*. I tried 3 diff chips and 3 diff monitors/scanmaster and they are all showing me that the timing is 8 degrees off exactly every time. Example if i put a chip in that is supposed to be 20* at WOT the monitor will read 28* and if i put a chip in that is 25* timing on the monitor is 33* This issue is also causing a lean condition. Car idles, runs, and drives fine but is lean at WOT and i am seeing a little knock. I tried all the basics and nothing changes it. BLM's, O2, and MAF are all where they are supposed to be too.

are you using the stock balancer????........................RC

what "monitor"....?

what chips?

The stock datastream does not transmit timing unless you are in ALDL mode, which can have other side effects.

Bob

Are you using a "Translator Plus"?

what "monitor"....?

what chips?

The stock datastream does not transmit timing unless you are in ALDL mode, which can have other side effects.

Bob

OTC enhanced, Snap ON Solus, Scanmaster.

Bob Baliey, Joe Lubrant, and an old thrasher are the chips i have tried.

As Bob eluded to earlier, your scantools (OTC, Snapon) must be putting the ECM in ALDL mode (not the Scanmaster though).

Whenever the ECM goes into ALDL mode, it immediately adds 8 degrees of timing when then car is not moving (when the ECM sees zero MPH). Since you have no MPH input, it's always at zero, so it's always adding 8 degrees as long as those scantools are hooked up.

It should be fine with the Scanmaster, as it doesn't force ALDL mode.

At least, that's my take on it. :smile:

don't forget a good ol' timing light to make sure your seeing what your seeing is right, one with a dial in the advance is the best way to go too.( & yes i know you can't drive down the road & check it with a light but you can get some intial #'s anyways) just my $.02