timing marks

mbartell

n/a 231
what is the diffrence on the timing marks on the front covers of the 3.8's?
I just got a front cover that has the cast in marks, and I think my engine actually needs the bolted on ones. Anyone know the diffrence?
Is there a way to use the bolt on- on on the other cover?
The V6 performance book just says it will give "some weird timing measurements"

The cast marks are for odd-fire engines and the bolt on marks are for even fire. I have a book at home that might explain interchangability better.

The Free Spirit Power Manual says they interchange. The marks are 18° different from the even to odd covers. You can either re-mark your damper, or just get one of the thousands of even fire covers from the junk yard.

If the front cover happens to have the oil pump cover, check and see if it's METRIC or not. A non-metric cover, bent at the correct angle, will let you run a bigger PF-24 oil filter. It will work on the even fire front cover as well.

Thanks I haven't been able to find the free spirit manual, and I'm glad you have it. I found the front cover on ebay, it was rebuilt, with a high volume oil pump (so I can leak oil faster) and the oil pump cover already installed. Hopefully I can run the bigger filter, I'll just have to wait untill it gets here, along with the double roller timing chain I got.

Looks like I may be in for a difficult weekend/week.