Timing cover install AFTER girdle installed..how?

Warp6

Mine since '92
Hi guys. My engine is on the stand and the girdle is installed. How are you guys installing your timing cover when the girdle is in place? Please don't tell me the girdle needs to come off! I'll do that if I have to but...I really dont want this cover leaking.

install

Remove the 2 1/4 in. dowels in the front of block that locate the front cover. I use the Right Stuff for sealing the cover to girdle--push cover on and down onto the girdle--then reinstall the 2 dowels.

I cannot use a gasket ...

between the cover and the girdle,
Like Lee said remover pins, use sealer, and install pan bolts to pull it down to the gridle, install pins BEFORE you tighten everything.

I just machined .010" (or so) off of the bottom of the timing cover and slid her on. Using good silicone to seal it up. The timing cover tends to hang over the bottom of the block, causing the fitment issue. You can even sand the bottom of the timing cover to do the same thing.
He should add that to his instructions. "Install a timing cover and machine it flush with block prior to installing/line honing the block/girdle". (maybe he does, and I just don't remember.) I like about .005-.010" clearance though, as it makes it easier to install the timing cover.

like turbofabricator said i just sanded mine and put alittle right stuff on it.dont forget your cam button that right stuff makes getting cover back off alittle tough lol

Dowels pins

Remove the 2 1/4 in. dowels in the front of block that locate the front cover. I use the Right Stuff for sealing the cover to girdle--push cover on and down onto the girdle--then reinstall the 2 dowels.

Lee
What's the best way to pull the dowels pins.

I'm not Lee However, I've removed them before with just pliers gently twisting while pulling. Or a small stud extractor will remove them as easy at visegrips but visegrips tend to ruin the end of the dowl pin.

A dowel pin puller will remove the pins. That is the best way....and it doesn't ruin the pins.

I just finished 2 engines with girdles. Both front covers were installed by removing the pins, laying a nice bead of RTV (Ultra Black) and setting the cover into the RTV before driving the pins back in.

I also machine the block pan rails and leave the caps .003 proud so I don't have to use any of the BS shims. The girdle needs to be 100% flat to do it this way.......and they are never 100% flat. The last girdle was .017 out and the vendor told me that was acceptable.....hahaha!!!!! So I also have the girdles surface ground. It also removes their logo!!

If you've got a billet cam with a replaceable cam gear make sure you check the "play" in the cam sensor/cam gear at least at every oil change.

My gears chewed themselves up on Drag Week. I don't think anyone has solved this yet if they have please Chime in so we know how to fix this problem. I've already talked to several people with this same issue.
(Lack of lube) causes this.
Possible HV cover allignment as well.
I'm working on a solution right now.
~Scott

could you not install the timing cover (pins in/cover flush to block rail) first with the crank laying in the block . lay a nice even bead of "the right Stuff" on the pan rail and the bottom of the cover then install the girdle ? or am I missing something ?

KWIKR 1 - I bought this assembled shortblock and it has the girdle in place. I don't want to remove it.

KWIKR 1 - I bought this assembled shortblock and it has the girdle in place. I don't want to remove it.

oh...got it ! :) should of read your first post a bit better . just sound like others as well were putting the girdle on first then trying to fit the timing cover . :)

gear wear problem

If you've got a billet cam with a replaceable cam gear make sure you check the "play" in the cam sensor/cam gear at least at every oil change.

My gears chewed themselves up on Drag Week. I don't think anyone has solved this yet if they have please Chime in so we know how to fix this problem. I've already talked to several people with this same issue.
(Lack of lube) causes this.
Possible HV cover allignment as well.
I'm working on a solution right now.
~Scott

I solved my gear wear about 4 years ago. Go to Stage II and do a search. I have a thread with pics. 4 years going and no wear altho some of the engine gurus say different.

timing cover install

I left one dowel pin in the passenger side on mine and same as the other guys I use the right stuff under the front off the timing cover and some on the girdle..no leaks anywhere..

I didn't have a problem putting on my timing cover with girdle installed...just put some Right Stuff on the bottom of the cover and slid it in place...didn't need to remove the dowels...actually had to do it twice...maybe I just got lucky...try test fitting the cover first...it may slide it fine...