timing chain tensioner...rubber?

Tungsten

I just bought a timing chain tensioner from ta performance and the pad is rubber, not nylon like i would think. I have a couple of used ones laying around and they all feel hard like nylon. Does the oil degrade the rubber turning them hard, or are they all hard when new? I'm rebuilding my engine and don't want to mess anything up.

With mine i went with a roller chain and tossed the tensioner in the garbage.I think that when i pull my engine apart it had a rubber one but it fell of the metal arm.

Most of them become hard as a rock because of the oil exposure. They should be slightly soft but not really soft.

i can indent my fingernail into it but that's all. I recall someone saying it "had a nylon pad" so that's why I was worried.

Sounds wrong to me? I have a few new ones here (I think I still do) & they are hard & shiny looking. I can look on the weekend or sooner if needed but PM me or I will forget!! Maybe snap a few pics for you. :)

Black hard type rubber if memory serves me right, TA is not going to sell you something that is not correct for the job, IMHO.

Ron

someone PM'ed me and said "try to squeeze the pad with a pair of pliers" and it squished! (barely) :wink:
so there we go, hard rubber, problem solved, thanks guys :D