Timing chain tensioner and cam button?

Turborookie83

Reassembling my 3.8 and cant find the right bolt for the tensioner? anyone have any pics to help me out finding how i set this thing up? Also need to know what all is included with the cam button? I am pretty sure its just a spring and the button that sits against thew cam?
Thanks
Marc

I have the spring and the spacer that sits in the timing cover...but i believe there is also another spacer/button that fits to the cam correct? Also i can see how the tensioner goes on, but i cant figure what kind of hardware to use, anyone deal with this before?
Thanks
Marc

There is only one spring and one button. The spring sits inside the cam with the button pressing against the cover. The bolt for the tensioner has partial threads and is stepped for the spring to ride on. If a roller chain is used than the tensioner is not required.

Your local buick / gm dealership should be able to get you the bolt for the tensioner.

Just call them up and tell them what you need, i had to get one a few years ago and that's what i did. They can look it up in just a few minutes but i had to wait a few days for them to actually get it.

They discontinued the bolt, so it isn't available through a GM dealership anymore. I have the double roller edelbrock timing chain... no tensioner needed for sure?
Thanks
Marc

They discontinued the bolt, so it isn't available through a GM dealership anymore. I have the double roller edelbrock timing chain... no tensioner needed for sure?
Thanks
Marc

Do not use the timing tensioner with a double roller chain specially the edelbrock chain, it will chew up the tensioner and eventually break creating all kinds of problems you dont need, dont ask me how i know.. :( if your chain is a little loose, just get the right undersized chain for your application and be done with it.. they sell .02/0.4 up to .05 undersized chains..

the tensioner kit from local autoparts store (like advance auto) has the spring bolt and tensioner pad

22244ct

only run the tensioner with stock or stock type chain