Timing chain replacement

84GNTTYPE

My car rolled over to 100,000 miles over the summer.

I'd like to replace the stock timing chain and am wondering if anyone makes a kit with the necessary gaskets, chain, gears, etc all in one.

Also, is there anything else I should replace while I'm down there?

Thanks,
John

I don't know of an "all in one" kit, SE turbo had the best deal on a roller chain and a gasket set can be had at any parts store. Would not be a bad idea to replace or at least thoroughly clean the oil pump pickup (still available through GM). The oil pan has to come off anyway so a rear main (neoprene-not rope) seal couldn't hurt. Also get the cam button with the roller bearing on the end of it.

84GNTTYPE said:
My car rolled over to 100,000 miles over the summer.

I'd like to replace the stock timing chain and am wondering if anyone makes a kit with the necessary gaskets, chain, gears, etc all in one. Also, is there anything else I should replace while I'm down there? .....

While the cars are a bit different in the accessories, this is a good thread.
You may end up replacing more ……… like in this thread. :biggrin:
Excellent documentation!
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166980

FWIW ...... I removed the front cover without removing the oil pan, but not a bad idea to remove and clean/check.

I find it incredibly difficult to remove the timing cover without getting coolant in the pan. I had the drain plug out, and had previously drained the hoses and water pump as well as humanly possible, but when I decided to tear the pan off anyway, I noticed that there was a good 4-5 ounces of coolant in the pan! If I hadn't taken the pan off, I would have sworn there was no coolant in it, because i hadn't seen any go in, but it still seeped in. About the only way I can think of would be to pull the water pump off and stick a tube in the block passages and pump it out with something, and that might not even be perfect. just my opinion.