Time to go stage II with A/C!

its a normal msd distributor , moded with a buick cam sensor inside. I like to keep everything hall effect.

I'm not an electronics guy but do you think that there may be noise issues having a hall effect near the spark or is this common ?

Allan G.

More of a chance having a noise issue with a inductive pickup type sensor than a hall effect, I'n not going to worry about it , should be fine. Might put some tanalum caps on it, as Denis suggests. Please view thread...

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/inductive-vs-hall-effect-sensors-something-7255.html

Norbs,

This link talks about using caps to surpress noise in the 12 volt supply line but says nothing about noise introduced from a high energy spark near the actual inductive/hall effect pickup. This is what I'm questioning but maybe not a concern....

Allan G.

Norbs,

This link talks about using caps to surpress noise in the 12 volt supply line but says nothing about noise introduced from a high energy spark near the actual inductive/hall effect pickup. This is what I'm questioning but maybe not a concern....

Allan G.

It states that inductive pickups are more prone to noise then hall effect in a general statement.

After being on the Forum for over two years I have seen a common theme concerning electrical noise problems repeated over and over. Because of this I thought I would pass on some information concerning the benefits of using different sensors, their advantages and disadvantages. I realize that many of you know this already but for some of the guys just getting into the high tech stuff we are doing here the following information might be useful.

Inductive sensors are often used however, they produce a low level signal, sometimes in the millivolt range, that can be prone to interference from proximity to high power ignition systems or nearby wires carrying high current like injector wiring. The advantage of the magnetic sensor is that it usually utilizes zero crossing sensing and thus is quite accurate and repeatable. These sensors can usually be identified by the two wire connection. You should always use shielded, twisted wires for these sensors. There is also an amplified inductive sensor that has both the advantages of the Hall Effect sensor in terms of its noise immunity and the accuracy of the zero crossing. This sensor requires a three wire connection like the Hall Effect sensor. Unfortunately they are not generally available for our application.

Hall Effect sensors by contrast typically produce a signal voltage that toggles from ground to 12 volts and thus have considerable immunity to noise interference. The accuracy of the Hall Effect sensor can be an issue but that is easily solved in the design of the sensor target. For example a Hall Effect sensor using the FAST 8 inch reluctor wheel on the crankshaft will be as accurate as the same reluctor wheel and an inductive sensor. However, the Hall Effect sensor using 16 magnets on a 1 inch diameter rotor that I used on the transmission speedometer drive for the XFI traction control had so much jitter on the sensing of the rotation of the magnets it could not be used for the traction control. These sensors can be identified by the three wires attached to the sensor. They usually have 12 volts, signal ground and signal output on the three wires. Always twist the three wires together and shielding them is always a good idea.

There are two types of Hall Effect sensors. One that requires a magnet to be mounted on the object being sensed and a second type that has a magnet built into the sensor head which will work with a conventional reluctor wheel or gear tooth sensing. I use the second type of sensor in my XFI equipped car for both crankshaft sensing and transmission output shaft speed sensing. The only disadvantage to the sensor I chose was that it required a transistor inverter at the sensor to make the signal compatible with the FAST ignition.

One suggestion I have for FAST improvement list is that they add a Hall Effect sensor to their line of crankshaft sensor kits as this would solve many of the noise issues.

Attached are a couple of photos depicting the sensors I am using.

On another note Iv'e been making some progress, heater box had to be destroyed , now I have to fix it in the car, If Mean Mike would have sold a kidney plate I would have been so much better off! Can't see it on this pic though.

Things left to do:

TURBO PIPING, WIRING, FIX HEATER BOX, PLUG WIRES, DIPSTICK, ALTERNATOR SUPPORT BRACKETS, BOOST PLUMBING, NO UPPER RAD HOSE, NO THROTTLE BRACKET, DENT UP HEADERS TO CLEAR STEERING SHAFT, TURBO OILING.................ETC.

stage in.jpg

What made you have to destroy the heater box? I thought you had everything where it would fit.

Norbs,

What is that in the background behind the car ? Looks like a shaker hood or something ?

Allan G.

What made you have to destroy the heater box? I thought you had everything where it would fit.

Everything was great until I tried to put the valve cover, when I did the test fit I did not have the rocker shaft hardware on, and that last stud you have to lif the cover straight up it was impossible to do, without cutting it all the way up, what a mess now....

Yes it is.........you have a good eye!
Details, I knew I could sniff out some mopar product in there...

FYI - in the process of gathering stuff to add shaker to my 70 challenger but currently on hold.
Allan G.

Here's a pic of the Jeep shaft, I may have to dent the header its too close, but I'm sure on a 109 its not an issue, if anyone is wondering.......
shaft.jpg

This is the wiring crap that I have been working on all weekend a day more I may have it cleaned up........

mess.jpg

Wiring is almost cleaned up.............but still not all done. Spending time on TB linkage and plug wires, and odds n ends. drilled the elbow for the 60 psi boost sensor, etc...........oil pressure regulator ALL done.. No injectors yet:( Notice the ALL brass 1 way check vavle for the PCV system. Throttle cable is from a GM TPI system.

tb.jpg

norbs said:
Wiring is almost cleaned up.............but still not all done. Spending time on TB linkage and plug wires, and odds n ends. drilled the elbow for the 60 psi boost sensor, etc...........oil pressure regulator ALL done.. No injectors yet:( Notice the ALL brass 1 way check vavle for the PCV system. Throttle cable is from a GM TPI system.

Hey NORBS...your inj are missing!!! Hahaha.

Hey NORBS...your inj are missing!!! Hahaha.
NOT anymore...................got something in my mail box today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) How's your injectors doing?