Time to go stage II with A/C!

I looked at the templates and wonder why it is like that. I am curious how they measure up to the actual heads. I know my heads have a sleeve pressed in around the head bolt area and the porting is done around this sleeve. The templates in the book would not be as large as my heads based on the lack of this feature in the template. The template appears to blend around that area without maximizing the port size.

Allan G.
The templates are designed to port to the maxium limits without any breaking through into walls as you talking about.

Yes I was being very sarcastic. My car is far from a daily driver but is definetly streetable and can be seen at least twice a week when weather is good.

Allan G.

fixed it, didnt mean to imply its a daily driver, just that it sees the street.

on a side note, now even more interested in you set up Norbs, the cam currently in my motor (hyd roller 232/232, .560/.560, 110 l/c, 270 adv) is very similar to the cam card you posted, i believe i'm running a smaller turbo, and have a used cam core at crower being reground smaller with more l/c

fixed it, didnt mean to imply its a daily driver, just that it sees the street.

on a side note, now even more interested in you set up Norbs, the cam currently in my motor (hyd roller 232/232, .560/.560, 110 l/c, 270 adv) is very similar to the cam card you posted, i believe i'm running a smaller turbo, and have a used cam core at crower being reground smaller with more l/c
I didn't think you were implying that. I just didn't want to miss-lead anyone that I claim its a daily driver so I threw in that disclaimer. I went a little further out of my comfort zone one this latest engine configuration and so far looks like it was for the better. For Norb's build, I think his cam selection will be a little more conservative than my old combination but it will definetly be more street friendly then my current set-up. With his planned compression selection, turbo combination, and 30 psi boost limit, I would encurage him to be more aggressive on his cam to take advantage of the head flow, but since he already has the cam........
My old combination was an old school T76 .96 A/R turbo. With only 8:1 and a bigger cam, I was able to spool that engine like it was stock. And that was with a crapy converter.
Allan G.

Added 1 pic, all the header welding is complete. Next is turbo mount bracket, it will be a Mean Mike copycat, sorry Mike.

Yes waiting for shorter head studs to come in next week , and I'm still fiberglassing the heater box. The Iron heads are shorter deck height than the alum;s about .350" I had to cry to cut the heater box, but really no choice in the matter. I cut it a lil big, so I could get the valve cover out without pulling the motor:(
cover view 2.JPG
heater box copy.JPG
box stage 1.JPG
box stage 2.JPG
cover clearance.JPG

Just as an update motor is out and I am sizing up for head gaskets, and piston to valve clearance. Piston is .012 in the hole, 29.5CC, 3.810 bore with 3.40 stroke, heads CC in at 42CC, 4.02 gasket bore

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/CompRatioCalc.html

Compression choices are as follows:
.051 gasket=8.53
.045 gasket=8.64
.040 gasket=8.74
.027 gasket=9.00

What is the best choice?

Just as an update motor is out and I am sizing up for head gaskets, and piston to valve clearance. Piston is .012 in the hole, 29.5CC, 3.810 bore with 3.40 stroke, heads CC in at 42CC, 4.02 gasket bore

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/CompRatioCalc.html

Compression choices are as follows:
.051 gasket=8.53
.045 gasket=8.64
.040 gasket=8.74
.027 gasket=9.00

What is the best choice?

Don't know what you would consider "Best Choice" but I think I would go witb the .040". This happens to be the same thickness as a felpro so you have an alternative if you decide to switch to that gasket and it will take some compression out of that iron head.

Allan G.

Why a 4.02 bore gasket on a 3.81 bore block? Are your combustion chambers opened up that big?

The 3.860 gasket edge overhangs the heads, maybe about .030 on each side, I could grind it down, but not sure its a good idea, I can experiment on an old gasket.

I'm sure 4.02 would be fine. It seals up fine on engines making more than you intend to. Grinding mls gaskets seems to be asking for problems. Are you going to clearance the bore to match the heads?

I think you should just pick the gasket that gives you the compression and quench you want. Iron heads on an iron block should be pretty trouble free with just about any gasket.

I'm sure 4.02 would be fine. It seals up fine on engines making more than you intend to. Grinding mls gaskets seems to be asking for problems. Are you going to clearance the bore to match the heads?

I think you should just pick the gasket that gives you the compression and quench you want. Iron heads on an iron block should be pretty trouble free with just about any gasket.
Doing more fitting it looks like I can grind them and still be not into the fire ring, no I won't be grinding the block though. I know it would help unshrouding the area.

Good to see you're about to put the engine together. I would like to see some pics of the headgaskets modified.

I talked to my engine builder and he said, as long as I don;t touch the fire ring and the chamber covers the fire ring seal , it will be fine. I will post pics for you as your watching every detail in this build.:)

Put me in the .040 thick gasket column. Why.. it was suggested to me by the big cheese himself (Howard Gilbert) a loong time ago.
(& that's what I did) w/my S2..

Thanks Gary looks like I have a new issue, piston to valve is coming in at .100 intake and .024 exhaust with no head gasket and no lash. Revised the cam was on a 112 lobe center, I advanced it 4 crank degress now its on a 110 center, clearance is no .070 intake .108 exh

Update! one head is on with a .040 gasket, studs torqued to 75ft with molly lube and 80 ft;lbs on the longer bolts. If you been following my other posts I ran into rocker geometry issues. Valve spring heights roughly 2" put the geometry off, with no fix. Until Blown V6 Mike came up with some custom .140" shims for me. For those building similar builds this is something you need to avoid. The valves can;t be too tall or you will run into this mess. Everyone should buy some basic cam degreeing tools, even 2 degrees made a huge difference in piston to valve clearances. I did not cut the head gaskets as planned, it should be ok as is.

degree1.jpg