Tilt Wheel Repair sucks on a TTA.

UNGN

Can't Re- Member
I had to do something, because it felt like wheel was going to fall off. The screws had nearly backed all the way out. Next time I'm going to pay someone.

You watch the You tube videos on a Chevy Pickup and you think "piece of cake" then you get confronted with levers, gizmos, doohickies and springs that aren't in the videos. And then there are the Radio and antitheft wires and previous owners wood screws....

I have 2 left over springs I have no idea what they are from, But I'm just glad it starts and runs, tilts and blinkers, wipers and horn work and its like a new car again, except the high beam switch doesn't seem to be attached to the rod.. oh well, can't win them all.

If you'd just sent me a note I could've helped you through it. They really are simpler than you're making them out to be. If you can figure out the suspension you have then you can do a column without any problems.

I did mine a couple of years back ... posted on turbotransam.com about it and included some good useful links with pics.

Well worth the time and effort in the end.

Fixing the steering tilt wheel is totally worth it, but compared to a Chevy pickup it is rocket science. What would take 30 minutes in a Chevy pickup takes 4 hours in a TTA. And the longer you are fiddling with high beam levers, trying not to break the tiny VATS wires or mess up the radio control pin disk, the greater the opportunity for the ball bearings to drop into your lap one by one.

I had all of the proper tools and it took me a solid 3 hours to get it right and I still haven't hooked up the highbeams or know what the 2 springs that fell out, do.

Mine is fixed forever, but if someone asks me if they should tackle it themselves, I'd tell them to call up a guy that does it for $100 and tell them you have an "old 1989 Firebird". Drop it off, run and then come back 6 hours later with only $100 and tax.

It depends on the video. This is the one that I referred to when swapping out my ignition lock cylinder. I tightened everything before re-assembly. My '90 has an airbag, but it's all essentially the same...

WHAT PARTS WERE LEFT?(SPRINGS)…SHOOT SOME PHOTOS,CHANCES ARE I CAN TELL YOU WHERE THEY GO..BACK IN THE DAY,I REBUILT5-6 COLUMNS A WEEK,THEFT-RECOVERYS AT THE DEALERSHIP THAT I WORKED IN…. I HAVE A BOX FULL OF BEARINGS,AND RACES FROM THE RACK REPAIR KITS THAT WERE PURCHASED FOR EACH COLUMNS.

Thanks, Bill

Here is a picture. The one one on the left fell out after the tilt pins were removed. The one on the right looks like it has to do with a switch.
TTA tiltSprings.jpg

SORRY FOR LATE REPLY(BACK IN TOWN) THE ONE CLIP HOLDS THE BUZZER INSERT INTO THE UPPER HOUSING( YOU THAVE TO PULL THIS OUT TO REMOVE THE SCREW THAT HOLDS THE IGN CYL IN THE HOUSING) THE OTHER HALF SHOE TYPE CLIP LAYS IN THE HOUSING UNDER THE RACK GEAR(KINDA HOLDS UPWARD PRESSURE ON THE RACK.. THE TILT HOUSING WIL NEED REMOVED TO REINSTALL THIS ITEM,I DO FEEL IT IS IMPORTANT.. THE KEY BUZZER,NOT SO IMPORTANT..