Tilt steering column problem?

Hyboost

Hyboost
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with their Tilt Steering column, If I put too much pressure on it, it "skips" down, as if I pulled the tilt lever and lowered the steering wheel onto my lap!

Is this caused by the 4 loose bolts down in the column? My wheel doesn't feel loose, like when the pivots are loose, just the unintentional tilt problem as mentioned.

Just want to make sure I'm tearing down the column for the right reason before doing it. And if I need any parts, I'd like to order them before disabling my car..

Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated.

This is faily common I can tell you that. There used to be a guide on how to fix it on an el camino forum I think. I'll see if I can dig it up, I'm sure I've got it bookmarked somewhere.

Not exactly. The column looks and feels ok. No wiggle at all. It only drops if you put a decent amount of downward pressure on it, When I was loading the car onto the trailer, I was trying to get a better view out the windshield and kind of pulled down on the steering wheel and BAM, the wheel ratcheted into my lap and stayed there, until I released the tilt lever, and put it back to the normal position. Or like if you are at the track, Leave off the line and kind of put pressure on the wheel to hang on, and BAM! It slams down into my lap. Just like the tilt lever was pulled to adjust the tilt angle, but maybe not pulled all the way because you can almost feel/hear it semi catching as it goes down. Like the locking mechanism is not engaging 100%. I tried holding the tilt lever in the opposite direction, (towards the front of vehicle) then put downward pressure on the wheel and the steering column still slams down with more than a small amount of downward pressure.
I'm going to tear it down, see what I see. Maybe the bolts are loose, and that's all it is (I hope, but doubt it). Maybe theres a problem with the tilt spring? IDK. Going to look at a exploded parts breakdown & see what might be the cause. Thanks.