Tightening Steering Gearbox

cbird77

'86 WH1 what?
My T-Type has a dead spot in the steering when at center. I'm tightening the nut under the steering shaft and it seems to be tight. Do I need a new gearbox? All the suspension is tight.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I am no expert, so,,, If you have made sure all your suspension and steering linkage has no slack in it, I have tightened the steering box a little on GM cars. If you overtighten it you will probably have a hard spot in the center position which I think is to tight. Your car is close to 30 years old with many hours on the steering box. You can try to loosen your box a little and may be satisfied. If not, new box time. Make sure you get the correct box as there are several to pick from. Hope this helps and is clearer than mud.

Just to tighten the one nut is only part of the procedure to adjust the Saginaw steering box.

Do a search on-line for the entire procedure.

Like Nick said, there's a procedure to do it properly, and there's 2 locations that may need tightening. Look it up online and make sure to follow it exactly or you'll either end up with to much slack or to tight.

I found some more info online. I'm gonna tweak on it some more and see what happens. Thanks.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app