Ticking in valve train comes and goes.

Mike70gtx

I have had a ticking come and go on this car for over a year. It would usually happen after a hard full throttle run. It has the sound of a lifter. I switched to 10w-40 Royal purple and it went away for a while or wasn't as frequent. I started it this morning and it was fine. After about 5 miles it started to tick enough to make my caspers knock gauge continually run through the lights. I went to the track last month and still had oil in it that was at the 3000 mile range and had no problems. I put fresh oil in it and now the ticking is back.

What is your oil psi engine fully heat soaked in gear at idle?

Is the noise present at idle? i f so is it fast at idle or high idle? Reason I ask is the camshaft turns twice teh speed of the crank and the faster taps at low engine speeds are a sign of valetrain..typically.

Oil pressure is only 7 pounds (give or take some) and tops at 25 at 3500 rpm. I might have 15k on this motor since rebuild. There was no ticking this morning till I made a few stops and then it got strong. The sounds accelerates with the rpm.

that sounds low to me, might be your problem, no idea but my friend's oil pressure is 25 idle and 65 WOT. he has tight clearences though. (hot oil pressure and castrol 10w-40) btw

EDIT: forgot to mention, a blown head gasket that causes coolant to leak into the block would definitely cause ticking. I had a buick v6 with 140,000 miles with no ticking ever, then a gasket blew and coolant was slowly entering the oil, started to tick very badly on and off, i was getting pissed that I couldn't find out the problem, so we put some of that crappy coolant stop leak in there, (since i figured i would have to pull the motor anyway, and low and behold, no more ticking. been 5,000 miles and hasn't ticked since. coolant is a very bad lubricant by the way :biggrin:

What is your oil psi engine fully heat soaked in gear at idle?

Is the noise present at idle? i f so is it fast at idle or high idle? Reason I ask is the camshaft turns twice teh speed of the crank and the faster taps at low engine speeds are a sign of valetrain..typically.

Actually the cam turns at 1/2 the speed of the crank. The noise would be less & slower at slow engine speeds.

What about the cam sensor? These tend to produce infrequent noise when they are going out of commision.

Oil PSI seems to low for my liking. Put some thicker oil in a see if the noise changes

The ticking (sounds more like a loud sewing machine) came and went on the way home. For awhile it was setting off the knock gauge. With my air running and 90 degree plus heat my engine temp was 195. My oil pressure was not even 25 at 65mph. Maybe closer to 20. I've got royal purple 10w 40. I just changed it. $8 plus per quart. Any additive I could add?

I have the same ticking noise except it sounds like it's coming from the lower intake manifold. Also, my oil pressure is 25 at idle and 65 at WOT and I always use ZDDP. What could the noise be? It came after a run at the track which saw 19.9 degrees of knock in 2nd gear until I let out.

I don't have that many miles since I pulled heads and did bearings. I'm not sure how long it has been since oil pressure has kept creeping downward.It has never been that great, but not this bad. It seems like it has gotten to the scary point since the last trip to track and oil change. The car is not pulling as hard as it used to. I was running 11.2- 11.6. this last time I was 12.6 - 12.9. I was running pretty rich and didn't get the laptop hooked up for a good tune. If I had a history of being rich and spraying dual nozzle alky; Would the excess wash the cylinder walls and make it's way to the oil resulting in quicker wear? Would it also start showing on my compression? I lost the part that goes in the cylinder to check compression. I guess I wondering if I will have to pull motor sometime and need to count the cost. Time and money.

Oil Pressure

I Also Have Really Low Oil Pressure After The Car Gets Hot. It Goes To No Pressure On My Gauge, But The Light Does Not Come On. Maybe Autometer Gauge Is No Good? Or The Idiot Light Is At Fault, Comes On With Key On Engine Off.

If my bearings are going, should I be able to see gold filings in the oil filter? I cut my last one open and don't see any metal shavings.

Why does the sound come and go. Even with too low oil pressure?

I see no mention of a roller cam so I assume you have a flat tappet cam. The lifters rotate in the bore on these cams to prevent uneven wear. Maybe with your low pressure you may not have enough flow to keep the lifters fully pumped up unless they line up just right with the feed hole??

Makes sense. This has been an on going problem for over a year. But the oil pressure was not this low

Sounds like an intermittent sticking plunger in a lifter. How much preload are you running. I agree on the oil pressure being too low. Should be at least 12 psi per 1000rpm hot