Thumping Sound

randys100

Greetings!
I was hoping someone here could give me some advice. I recently noticed a thumping sound from the passenger side of the vehicle (right under the passenger floor board). This sound appears to be getting louder and feels as though something is going to fall off. I've noticed the thumping noise primarily when turning right at low speeds and when I hit a hard bump in the road. My car is equipped with a TH 3" downpipe with very little room by the firewall and underneath the vehicle. My first thought was the DP banging, but I can't believe that would cause the thumping sound I can feel in the floor boards. I checked most of the obvious things under the vehicle (shocks, mounts, etc.) and everything appears to be tight. I'm pretty much out of ideas so I was hoping someone here could possibly help.

Thanks in advance!

Randy

mine did that when my body bushings were crushed and plit from age especially the one under the firewall

lpaulabbott said:
mine did that when my body bushings were crushed and plit from age especially the one under the firewall

Was this easy to find? How did you determine that was the problem?

Thanks!

randys100 said:

Thanks!
AGE AGE AGE AGE!!!! just look at the bushings between the frame and body and see if they are crushed, probably are but might not be your problem.

randys100 said:

Thanks!

Go to GNTTYPE.org and look in there technical section. There is a schematic on where all body bushings are located. The process of changing them out is not tha difficult. Probably take you half a day.

also check the upper a frame bushing needs heat shield if its original its probably baked

I had the same thing happen to me recently after I changed out the motor mounts. The mounts raised my engine enough that my downpipe hit the firewall. There is a metal flange that is about 1 inch. I bent that down with a crecent wrench and then hammered on it a little. Now the pipe has about a 1/4 inch clearance from the firewall.

Attachments

• downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 99
You guys do know that this thread was started in 2006?
I read all the time, use the search before asking questions, you will mostly likely find a thread related to that subject and I did. It just so happens to be the car I bought still has the same issue as when the other person owned it. I have had Aggressive look at it and they couldn't offer any solution. So I figured I would search. I'm trying to narrow down the annoying sounds. I have added missing lower body bushings, that really made a lot of difference. Now, I'm down to the thumping sound and the front suspension being squeaky. I think that has to do with the urethane bushing in the UMI uppers and lowers.
Now I do have someone giving a some input to things I could try.

I read all the time, use the search before asking questions, you will mostly likely find a thread related to that subject and I did. It just so happens to be the car I bought still has the same issue as when the other person owned it. I have had Aggressive look at it and they couldn't offer any solution. So I figured I would search. I'm trying to narrow down the annoying sounds. I have added missing lower body bushings, that really made a lot of difference. Now, I'm down to the thumping sound and the front suspension being squeaky. I think that has to do with the urethane bushing in the UMI uppers and lowers.
Now I do have someone giving a some input to things I could try.
Sorry MCH86GN I didn't realize this was your car that you are talking about. You didn't actually ask for advice when you reincarnated this thread. Unfortunately I can't help but good luck in your quest for the answer. Let us know if you figure it out.

Sorry MCH86GN I didn't realize this was your car that you are talking about. You didn't actually ask for advice when you reincarnated this thread. Unfortunately I can't help but good luck in your quest for the answer. Let us know if you figure it out.
No big deal, I should have asked the question. I got some advice here and I think I have one more person who could help me and that is Dave Roland. He had helped me fix several of my boo-boos.