thrust bearing ?

lenc23

im putting together a spare 109 i have had for awhile. its stock bottom end the only machine work done was a puff hone and polished the crank. now after starting to assemble the bottom end, i noticed that the crank is binding on the thrust bearing. one side has .005 and the other side is touching the crank. could this be caused by the arp main studs? this is the first motor im assembling myself and any advice would be very helpful.

Did you set it properly? The cap will move & you must set it by hitting the crank from both ends, rear last.

true

Did you set it properly? The cap will move & you must set it by hitting the crank from both ends, rear last.

True, you must set it and also useing studs could cause this. Had it happen once to me. Had to have the side of one of the holes in cap made larger.

thanks for the info guys. i did try and set it, maybe i didnt hit it hard enough? im gonna go back in a little while and try it again. i was thinking the same thing with the holes on the caps too. also, do the thrust bearings come in a standard size or are there undersized ones available? like i said earlier the back side had .004 and the front was .001 and it was tight!!!