Thrasher 92 chip

bogie1

I just got my thrasher 92 chips in the mail. (92-28-K2.0) , ( 92-30k2t.0) and my 100-30 chip.
When I pluged in the 92-28-K2.0- They car started and idled much better than the original Factory chip. (Ibought my 86 GN new in 1986 so I know that the chip is original). As soon as I started to drive away the engine felt way down on power and if I tried to put my foot in it at all, it would start to cough and pop out the intake, and I could not get over 5-10lbs of boost with out 12- 20 KR on my Scanmaster II. I tried the 92-30K2T.0 and it was even woorse, same symptoms. (I am not posting to knock the product, it is common knowledge that Thrasher chips are great).

I plugged up the stock chip and get 14lbs of boost in 1st with 0.0 KRs.

Here is my setup:

1986 GN engine bone stock 130,000.
Stock Trans and stock Posi rear.
Did complete Spring cleaning.
Red Armsrong FP and Billet adj FPR
Hot wire Kit
All new I/C hoses and clamps
ATR 3" DP and 3" dual SS exhaust
ATR 14" Cold air kit
160 deg TS
All new vacum lines
New coil pak and new ignition Module
New 8MM plug wires and autolite plugs
Fuel pressue set to 45 lbs at idle with vacum off
02 reading after 1/8 mile (back road) stock chip "849" 0.0 KR
02 readings were real strange with either Thasher "028" 15.3 KR
"039" 20.3 KR
Couldn't get much over 35 MPH had to let off.
I had FP guage hooked up on all runs and pressue rose just fine with boost.
I put the stock chip back and it runs like just fine. Any ideas anyone. I emailed Scott for some advise also, but was hoping someone might have some insight over what I am missing here?
I am running 10gallons of 93 Octane with 16oz of 104+ racing octanne booster. I haven't tried the 100 Thrasher yet.

I had a similar experience with my Thrasher chip. It was excellent until I added a cold air kit.

All I did was take off the stock box and add a solid maf pipe and a big K&N behind the headlights.

After that any time I got on the gas the car would buck and stutter and I could not drive it.

Pulled out the Thrasher and put my RA back in......ran fine...... put Thrasher back in and back to stuttering and bucking.

I think d0n_3d had the same problem with his car and thrasher too.

Maybe he will chime in.

I don't think the Thrasher likes cold air kits.

"ATR 14" Cold air kit"
Maybe you should try a 8" or 9" cone alone. I have had no problems with my Thrasher 92 chip and I run a 9" S&B cone on a homemade cold air setup.
Are you getting any codes?

Thanks Guys for the rapid responses. I am not getting any codes at all. The car idles better than it ever has with these chips. I am hoping I can get them to run right. I am wonder if a 8" or 9" K+N would fit in the ATR 14" housing? I guess I can approach it two different ways. Try an other air intake(maybe even put the stock one back on) to test and if it runs great then just leave it. I could also ask around and find out what chips the guys with large cold air setups are using. For now I just want a street chip for use with 93 octane. I see Renthorin said he has used the Red Armstrong with his setup.

I tried 2 Thrashers for Stock injectors, car stumbled alot. When I moved to 36lb injectors, new Thrasher chip runs great.
Trying to figure why some cars run good on certain chips while others will not is :mad:

I am using a Jim Testa chip for alky at the moment. Seems to work slightly better than my RA 93 chip did.

I really liked the Thrasher until I increased the airflow.....then it just freaked out on me.

Maybe you should try the 10 gals of 93 and then instead of that octain boost stuff add 2 or 3 gals (1 to 3 ratio)of Xylene and an oz of so of MMO. See what happens. I have never run less than GT100 or 93 oct with Xylene so maybe that's why I have had no real problems with knock. The Thrasher has fast spoolup so maybe your building boost too fast for the octain # you got. I don't trust that boost stuff. If your lucky it raised your octain 1 point.

Funny you should mention Xylene. When I used to race my GN back in 86 and 87 I ran a primitive hypertech chip and used to run 100 LL aviation fuel or toueulene. When My chips came in the mail yesterday I ran to the local paint stores in town and could not locate it anymore. In desperation I bought the 104+ knowing it was peeeing into the wind.

Well, after talking to some local GN guys and reading on here about the Thrasher chips quick spoolup to over 20lbs, I decided to get the most octain in the tank with out lead that I could. I didn't want to worry about not enough octain for my first outing with the chip. I never went back to lower octain after.

Thrasher 92 update

Scott et al,
I started to get the same symptoms with my stock chip. It has lower boost so the spitting and bucking were not as severe. I felt it must be an electrical problem because the higher the boost the more the system was breaking down. I didn't want to waste a lot of time so I replaced both the Coil-Pak and the Ignition module. (This is the 2nd Coil pak in 2 months). ALL of the bucking and spitting is gone.
Now the tunning begins.
Bottom line is that there are no problems with the thrasher chip that Scott burnt for me. It was just a coincedence that I started having problems after I put it in.

Far, far too many "Thrasher problems" are simply motors that are out of tune and people expect the chip to "fix it." Don't blame the computer!!

Scott didn't mean to cast diseprsions on the chip. I am not new to these cars I have owned mine for going on 18 years. I bought it in Feb 1986 and raced it at the 1987 Nationals in Bowling Green before most people ever knew what a GN was. I turned the 3rd fastest time(stock) there using shade tree skills, home made alky inj -homemade ram air-homemade cockpit intercooler water vapor spray down-primative hypertech-chip, thermo-wraping on pipes, Brass aquarium bleeder valve for boost. You see back then we had to make our own, there were slim to none aftermarket goodies. After I was able to run a 13.4 @ 106 MPH (on street tires) and dusting most everthing "street" that the local dragstrip could throw at me, I lost interest. I gave the car to my wife who drove it for almost 15 years to town and back. With the advent of the internet, I noticed that the Turbo Buicks had come a long way and decided two months ago to bring my GN back to life and use some of the available "new age" mods to do it. I had had no missing before I changed chips(because the car was not being stressed and was running low boost). When the car was pushed the missing showed up. I was just asking for advise and not knocking your work. I can understand why you never answered my email or post because you must be so sick of noobies blaming your chips when their cars are dragging anchor. Anyway I paid over $125.00 back in 1987 for my Hpertech chip, so for $25.00 in 2003 is way more than a bargin.
Thanks for supporting these Old huffing Beasts! and at charity prices.
Rich

My memory is getting older than my GN. I just dragged out my old time slips out and my 13.4 ET only had a 102.8 MPH not 106. 17 years is a long time and I guess My MPH just kept getting better in my mind with time. I am shooting for a high 12's street Buick now. Should not be too hard to do with all the new goodies out.

Check on www.gnttype.org tech section for spring cleaning and the FAQ for scantools. You've got something else going on with a 17 year motor. I too have had toruble with my daily driver for years now. It doesn't bother me as I just use it for driving 1.1 miles to work and back each day...I never have time or the chance to get into boost.

If you were at the Nationals in 1988, we prolly crossed paths.

Scott,
The problem was solved when I replaced the coil-pak and ignition module. We are running great now.

Scott - need your help. I put a Thrasher chip in my car and now the radio only plays classic rock. With the stock chip, I was able to get easy listening elevator music. What should I do?

Signed: Barry Manilow :D

I know what you mean!

Rich,

I bought my GN new in 87. Daily driver for five years. Never modded it because it was under warranty. As the years went on I drove it less and less. It got slower and slower. I thought it was my imagination or the car was just getting tired. Two years ago I started looking around on the net and found gnttype.org and this site. Did the spring cleaning and found out my TPS and tranny cable were way out of adjustment. Woke the car up bigtime. Started playing around with the car and got interested in mods. Still pretty stock but having some fun with the car. Put a Thrasher 92 in and made the basic mods. Having fun again!

Originally posted by dennisL
Scott - need your help. I put a Thrasher chip in my car and now the radio only plays classic rock. With the stock chip, I was able to get easy listening elevator music. What should I do?
Replace the ignition module! ;)