Thrasher 108-can I run it?

GNSteve

EFI Unlimited #4
I currently run a JL 92 street chip for Blue Tops with a JC alky kit.
With this combo I can run 22-23 psi boost with methanol and a .045 jet, O2's in the mid to low 800's. FP is 45 psi line off. Timing in the JL chip is 18 degrees, alky kicks in at 12 psi.
I recently got a Thrasher 108 for a good price (Thanks Otto) and would like to have a little insight on how this chip would react in my car if I didn't change anything. (boost, jets, FP, etc...)
I'd like to run this chip on the street with alky, but I'm wondering if the car can handle the boost with the higher timing chip.
I know, the best way to find out is to actually run it, but I know a lot of guys have done this, and I'd like to hear a little about how things went for them.(good or bad) Thanks!

Steve

Do you know the octane equivalent of the gas and alky mix you're using???????

If you can answer that question, and the answer is 108 or better, then you can run the 108 chip.

My suspicions would be no, not at the boost levels you want to run. The timing in the 108 level of race chip is just way too high.

Keep in mind, the chip you're running now is WAY LOW on timing (18 deg). When you move into a race chip, expecially in the 108 range, the timing is bumped WAY UP!!!

OK, How about this...

Dave,

Thanks for your reply! I'm not sure what my 92 octane gas+methanol would equal, but it may not be 108.
However, if I turn the boost down to run the 108 chip, would that be better than running the 92 chip with higher boost?
In other words, is higher timing/lower boost better than lower timing/high boost?
I figured I'd give it a try, but I wanted the opinions of others who've already been there.
I also have a Thrasher 92 chip that I can try, but wanted to see if the car could handle the 108 first.

Anyone else???

Steve

Just start off with boost around 18psi and climb from there...

Your street chip would run a hell of alot better if you would quit drowning the motor in fuel also (mid 800s) Must spool like sheeet ;)

Give it a try on Saturday night at the track! :D

I may go to watch. :D

Geoff

I too have a question about the Thrasher 108. I have been running 22psi of boost with my Jay Carter 93 street chip for Blues with 20* of timing with 100 octane gas all summer. My best pass is down below in my sig, but there is a lot left, I had lots of knock on the top end due to low FP setting but never got another pass in after I checked the FP. So, I want to step up to my Thrasher 108 race chip and run Turbo Blue 110 leaded. My question: My FP is set at 45psi static right now, is that a good starting place? Also, I get about 2psi of creep in 3rd gear, and I DONT want this sucker leaning out and knockin in the top end. My plan is to set the boost to 20psi, so it wont go over 22psi in 3rd gear. (BTW, stock turbo, IC, blue tops, Comp Cams 206/206, freshened motor, etc.) Am I on track or should my boost be down some? I know you gotta play with it some, and cars are different, but what have some of you been sucessful with? Thanks for your time.

Re: OK, How about this...

Originally posted by GNSteve
Dave,

Thanks for your reply! I'm not sure what my 92 octane gas+methanol would equal, but it may not be 108.
However, if I turn the boost down to run the 108 chip, would that be better than running the 92 chip with higher boost?
In other words, is higher timing/lower boost better than lower timing/high boost?
I figured I'd give it a try, but I wanted the opinions of others who've already been there.
I also have a Thrasher 92 chip that I can try, but wanted to see if the car could handle the 108 first.

Anyone else???

Steve

From what I have heard about the stock turbo, its best to run low boost (20 or less) and alot of timing. The stock turbo isn't as effecient with more boost. It just blows more hot air. So with the stock turbo I would leave the boost around 18 or so, use a chip with alot of timing, and plenty of octane.