Thoughts on the New Charger - anyone own one?

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
I've been seriously toying with the idea of buying a new '06 Dodge Charger. While at first I didn't care for it, it has really grown on me. I'm particularly fond of an R/T (the one with the 5.7 Hemi/340 HP) in black (for obvious reasons).

No - I won't be selling my GN. It's going nowhere.

Does anyone here own a new Charger (or at least willing to admit to liking it?)?

NO FLAMES - just good discussion, ok?

I like em. If you're looking don't forget to consider the 300c and Magnum if you're after 4 door power. I needed a 4 door last year and opted on a Supercharged Harley Edition F-150. It would have been a 300c if they didn't want an arm and leg for them at the time. (above sticker)

I have owned a Magnum R/t and now an SRT8. Mechanically identical, so I thought you might want my observations.

The LX platform is roomy, very rigid, and is really a tremendous value. The driveline is very stout and well engineered also. I have had no issues, and really have no legitimate complaints other than I was not completely happy with the transmission programming used in my R/T. It was a bit too soft shifting and pedestrian for my tastes.

The 5.7 hemi is a great motor. I averaged 24.8 MPG with it with only 1,000 miles on it during a trip last summer. In the Charger you can expect a high 13 on a good run. Plenty of guys with lightly modded Chargers running mid 13's Aftermarket support is ramping up nicely too. I would have preferred if they would have used a MAF instead of speed density, but not a deal breaker to me.

Despite the rants about the name it's really a great car. I would reccomend that if performance is high on your priority list that you consider the SRT8. Having owned both I can tell you the difference is NIGHT and DAY.

Looks are subjective, but for a big 4 door sedan I think it is aggressive and bold looking and I like it. I think it's better looking than the Impala SS, and certainly the Ford 500 or whatever they call it.

Check out lxforums.com and good luck.

You've got to wonder if they designed the Charger to be butt-ass ugly on purpose or if it just came out that way. Their corporate "big truck grill" styling has worn thin on me already.

People bitch and moan about the bland GTO, but at least it remains bland and doesn't become annoying like the Chryslers.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Raven wait for the Challenger

That is if u would rather have a 2 door car. Blob I too like the GTOS. Best thing is u dont see them everywhere u go.

If it was me, I'd hold out a year or so and get a Challenger. I am sooooo hoping they'll be available in Plum Crazy..... :D

The Blob said:
You've got to wonder if they designed the Charger to be butt-ass ugly on purpose or if it just came out that way. Their corporate "big truck grill" styling has worn thin on me already.

People bitch and moan about the bland GTO, but at least it remains bland and doesn't become annoying like the Chryslers.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

I thought he asked for healthy discussion and no flames? The guy obviously has an interest in learning something objective, so why insult his taste. Who gives a rats nose if you think a Charger is ugly?

I too like the Charger - I think for a 4-door, it's hard to beat both in looks and in performance. GM certainly has nothing comparable in the market competitively priced.

Sure, the Caddies are all that but my god - the price. And I don't necessarily want a car with cheese-cutter lines on it either.

I do love the GTO but just am not sure if I want yet another 2-door since I have the GN and it's going nowhere. I've also really shopped the pickup truck market but still, I keep coming back to the Charger.

Any more thoughts? Again, no flames ok?

lieu910 said:
I thought he asked for healthy discussion and no flames? The guy obviously has an interest in learning something objective, so why insult his taste. Who gives a rats nose if you think a Charger is ugly?
Last thread the Charger was Butt-ugly and upset you
Didn't we just have this discussion? I still think we should post that poll :biggrin: It still has the big truck grill :eek: The discussion contributed was that it still has the ugly front end....design error or intentional, we might never know :rolleyes:

tim87tr said:
Last thread the Charger was Butt-ugly and upset you
Didn't we just have this discussion? I still think we should post that poll :biggrin: It still has the big truck grill :eek: The discussion contributed was that it still has the ugly front end....design error or intentional, we might never know :rolleyes:

Good god - can't you guys give it a break? Whether YOU hate the Charger or not, I don't freakin' care. I asked if there was anyone here who has one or would admit to LIKING it, not if you don't.

So give it a rest, ok? And if you want the damn poll, post one - it won't matter.

Sheesh. :confused: :confused:

Back to the topic..... Yes I own a Charger R/t with the road and track group(350hp). All black too. I'm verry happy so far with it. The car handles great, the power is smooth and strong....enough. I'm thinking of supercharging it eventually, sold my TTA so I need my power fix. The interior is very comfortable with all luxury you could want. I like the front end that seems to be a love it/ hate it issue. I wanted something kinda fast, spacious ( 1 year old baby) and new, for the money there is nothing with all three of those options.

just my .02

paccio said:
Back to the topic..... Yes I own a Charger R/t with the road and track group(350hp). All black too. I'm verry happy so far with it. The car handles great, the power is smooth and strong....enough. I'm thinking of supercharging it eventually, sold my TTA so I need my power fix. The interior is very comfortable with all luxury you could want. I like the front end that seems to be a love it/ hate it issue. I wanted something kinda fast, spacious ( 1 year old baby) and new, for the money there is nothing with all three of those options.

just my .02

Congrats Phil, I want to see that Charger! The TTA was sold? Sorry to hear that, but the R/T will keep you entertained. You'll find that most R/T / SRT8 owners are really good bunch and just like cars in general.

Come over and take my SRT8 out for a spin when the weather breaks. We can take them to a cruise night or two - might be fun. We'll just have to remember to take the child seats out :biggrin:

Trace

Raven said:
I too like the Charger - I think for a 4-door, it's hard to beat both in looks and in performance. GM certainly has nothing comparable in the market competitively priced.

Sure, the Caddies are all that but my god - the price. And I don't necessarily want a car with cheese-cutter lines on it either.

I do love the GTO but just am not sure if I want yet another 2-door since I have the GN and it's going nowhere. I've also really shopped the pickup truck market but still, I keep coming back to the Charger.

Any more thoughts? Again, no flames ok?

Hey, I'll sell you my HD F-150.. You can get it cheaper, it has a nicer interior IMO, and is faster and easier to modify. On top of that it can tow a trailer. :)

I like the Chargers. I have been around them at the dealership quite a bit. (I used to live right next door to the Dodge dealership.) I think they are love or hate it just like everything else Dodge is building right now. There are PT Cruiser haters out there too, and Crossfire haters, and 300C haters..... but really, when you see one on the road, you have to admit it doesnt look like anything else out there now.
When I bought my Cruiser, it was the first car I drove. I test drove other cars, and kept coming back to it. Everything else was bland compared to it. Granted I wish it had the turbo 2.4, but I didnt have that kinda coin at the time.
Im sure that with the aftermarket, if you dont like the front end, soon enough there will be options to change that too.
Good luck with the Charger if you decide to get one.

How fast are the SRT/8's (charger)? If you are looking for a fast daily driver that's super practical look into the Trailbazer SS. Just a thought. ;)

TURBO 6 said:
How fast are the SRT/8's (charger)? If you are looking for a fast daily driver that's super practical look into the Trailbazer SS. Just a thought. ;)

SRT8's are high 12's low 13's stock. Trailblazer SS is a nice vehicle also.

''lieu910'', I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I just took delivery of a brand new Ford Five Hundred SEL ( which you don't seem to like...but that's ok... ;) ) and I'm very pleased with it. When I bought it, I did not really want a ''performance'' car, but rather a roomy family sedan for everyday use and I think it fills the bill quite nicely. When I have the ''need for speed'', I take my GN for a ride and Chargers are no match against me at all :biggrin: ...I also have a Thunderbird for smooth cruising on nice sunny days...As for the Charger, I have nothing against it...in fact, I like the aggressive looks and Hemi engine, but the reasons I did not buy one are: first, I did not need another ''muscle car'', and second, I prefer a GM or a Ford product over Chryslers...

Claude :smile:

toofastforyou said:
''lieu910'', I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I just took delivery of a brand new Ford Five Hundred SEL ( which you don't seem to like...but that's ok... ;) ) and I'm very pleased with it. When I bought it, I did not really want a ''performance'' car, but rather a roomy family sedan for everyday use and I think it fills the bill quite nicely. When I have the ''need for speed'', I take my GN for a ride and Chargers are no match against me at all :biggrin: ...I also have a Thunderbird for smooth cruising on nice sunny days...As for the Charger, I have nothing against it...in fact, I like the aggressive looks and Hemi engine, but the reasons I did not buy one are: first, I did not need another ''muscle car'', and second, I prefer a GM or a Ford product over Chryslers...

Claude :smile:

Glad you like the Five Hundred. There's nothing objectionable about the way it looks, and for a daily driver I'm sure it fits that bill very well. I'm partial to the LX cars from Chrysler mainly because I have owned two and my admiration for them really goes beyond the way they look. The 500 is a very clean and conservative looking sedan . Ford always has a nice interior design, at least IMO, and I do like some of their products. I always give them a look when I am in the market for a car or truck, but have tended to go the way of GM or Chrysler lately. I'm sure there will be another Ford in my future someday.

Hang on to that T-bird. I was sorry to see that car go away.