Thoughts on electronic boost controllers?

racerxrick

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum. Back into Buicks after nearly twenty years and performing maintenance and updating the 87' GN I bought from my long time Turbo 6 friend.

So...I have a TurboSmart eboost 2 controller I was considering installing. For the more race focused cars (10 seconds or quicker) are you guys running electronic boost controllers or still going old school (as the car is currently set up)?

(recent 6768 Precision with external wastegate install, current setup uses spring pressure for transbrake launch boost and manual control for control down the track). Ran 10.70's on the old 70 series turbo back in the day.

Electronic is the way to go, especially with an external gate. I still use an old MSBC with twin Tial wastegates and plain old manifold pressure (no CO2 bottle) and it holds boost steady down to 10 psi. There is usually an initial spike of a little more than about 1.5 psi, but it quickly recovers and holds steady +/- 1 psi the rest of the run.

If the e-boost is more advanced (and I'm sure it is) you will do fine.

I'm also looking at upgrading to electronic boost control, but I have a THDP with internal wastegate. What is recommended for this setup?

I love my EB2 controller. Once you get past all the things it can do and figure out what you want/need it to do you will love it also.

There is a learning curve to setting it up and setting boost levels as they are percentages not actual boost/pound numbers.