THose that have done a full body repaint step in and advise

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I need help on what works for the adhesive seals that go in between the weatherstripping trim and the car body. First off, is it foam or rubber? It appears 3m strip caulk will work for the pieces that sit flat against the body (outer a pillar trim, quarter panel trim). What about the big piece that screws to the roof and a pillar? I know the seal is 3/16 thick, but I don't know the width. It appears I need 3/4 but haven't been able to find that size. Can anyone point me in the right direction with all these trim pieces? It's a big pita just cleaning the stuff to reuse and I'd hate to get everything together and have to take it all apart because it isn't right. I got weatherstripping coming in a few days and would like to be ready to install this. ALso, it's been a long time since this stuff has been taken off and have no idea what size screws go where so if anyone is doing this right now some pics would help tremendously. Got all next week off and I'd really like to kick ass on this car. Thanks guys

Just did all mine (ttops) home depot or lowes should have the stuff ya need pretty sure I used 3/16x3/4 rubber and the softseal window ribbon where needed,actually spent more time figuring what the hell went where...good luck..Mike

I went to home depot and they didn't have anything close. I will try Lowes. Is there anything better than 3m adhesive remover to take all the crap off all the trim pieces? I got the 2 big pieces clean, but the rest need to be done. My hands are cramped up within a few minutes, can't get much done

A decent heat gun and time I painted all my trim so I didn't mind using a scraper and some good laq.thinner along with the heat also left over glue can be easily removed by wetting it with thinner and using a maroon scotch brite

My trim looks good for the most part so I don't wanna damage the finish. Just needs a little polish and its good to go

The pieces are for sure foam. I too will need these and was thinking probably the best person to ask would be Brian at Gbody. I can take some pics to help out with the screws. Pretty simple. I just started to take mine apart. Not as bad as compared to others but there was some rust. I do need to make some repairs and replace some items. Might be going with G-body replacements. I will take some pics so you know what screws go where.

Dannyo

The parts just came back from powder coating and I am just now at the point of trim and weather seals. Need the blow out clips...

I too have a T-Top so I am not sure if it of great help here, but I took LOTS of pics of everything before and after it came off the car and can e-mail if needed.

I got the foam rubber like tape, ribbon seal, and weather strip adhesive at Auto Zone. The tape and ribbon seal for 1/4 glass is Metro Brand - that is the brand of seal I am using too. The adhesive is the stuff Metro recommends is 3M 8000 series I think, black in color. The tape seems to be the right stuff but may need to be cut down in some places.

The best way I found to clean the old adhesive was to scrape as much as I could with a scraper and screwdriver and then finish it all off with a rag full of lacquer thinner. Used a carver set to clean in the small channels.

I've redone a few of these cars and have tried a few different methods:

On my Astro-roof, I pulled it from the car and stripped everything with laquer thinner. I used the 3m weatherstrip adhesive to glue the new GM weatherseal in.

On my window's I pulled off the old stuff and used a heat gun, some goo-gone or goof-off and and a plastic scraper... I started to use a screwdriver but it would scratch the metal. When the car was finished I ordered the GM moldings and did a test fit before attempting to fool with the adhesive.. The new weatherstrip basically locked itself into the little channels and held firmly without the need for any glue...(I was kind of dreading the glue because it looked really messy and with my luck I'd manage to get it on the interior. (I've never had one issue with them)

On another car I did the same strip down of the tracks and tried a cheaper alternative A1 or Soft Seal. It fit well (rubber as actually more firm than the GM stuff.) It was a zillion times cheaper too.... Only issues I had were 1) that the ends that affix to the body with plastic pins come with a plastic molded inside the GM units (for rigidity) the aftermarket ones do not so you have a floppy piece of rubber that will eventually rip... It all still stays in the channels without the glue; 2) that the 90* corner at the top of the B-pillar also seemed a little flimsy as compared to the rest of the strip.... Nevertheless, it worked and was cheap... The little issues were minor but bothered me so I've opted to stick with GM stuff.

Good Luck.

The pieces are for sure foam. I too will need these and was thinking probably the best person to ask would be Brian at Gbody. I can take some pics to help out with the screws. Pretty simple. I just started to take mine apart. Not as bad as compared to others but there was some rust. I do need to make some repairs and replace some items. Might be going with G-body replacements. I will take some pics so you know what screws go where.

Dannyo

That would help me out a lot. Do you think you could have the pics posted by monday?