?those of you with th400 and transbreak?

that national

do any of you guys miss having a full auto trans while your street driving? i was thinking about filling my 200-4r with billet pieces but i have 2 th400's in the garage and i was going to put a break in one of those and put it in, but i have a feeling ill miss the automatic shifting due to having a transbreak.

not with the b&M quicksilver shifter i have

i do miss the overdrive though because i really dont want to run a tall tire on the street , at the track i just shoe up with 28s

I think it would depend mostly on how much street driving you do with the car.

I absolutely love my TH400 and it's perfect in my application. If I slowed the car down or drove it more often, I'd probably go back to a well-built 200R4 for no reason other than the extra gear. I don't mind shifting the trans at all... but the extra gear makes a big difference cruising down the highway.

A big plus to the TH400 is long term reliability and affordability. I can build three TH400's for the price of one good 200R4... and the TH400 won't have to come out after a season of hard, single-digit abuse.

Anyone that tells you they don't miss that 4th gear on the highway is lying to you. :D

Still getting used to mine. Don't mind shifting it, it's actually pretty fun. I do sometimes forget to downshift after a extended trip on the freeway. Lack of overdrive does suck but it's worth it once I pull into the track.

I still have a 200-4R on my GN which was built by the late Eric Schertz of Dynotech, using all the "bullet-proof" parts available and it never broke, at least yet. I intend to keep it as long as possible because I like the overdrive feature of the 200-4R...I've read the replies above and it makes me wonder about two things:

1˚ Why the "reverse pattern" transmission?...:confused: Isn't it possible to keep a "forward pattern" ?
2˚ I also don't understand "pacecarta"s reply saying "not with the B&M shifter"...What does the shifter has to do with that?...:confused:

I understand that a TH-400 is suposedly stronger...but I'm not really interested in losing the overdrive!...:mad:

Claude. :redface:

I still have a 200-4R on my GN which was built by the late Eric Schertz of Dynotech, using all the "bullet-proof" parts available and it never broke, at least yet. I intend to keep it as long as possible because I like the overdrive feature of the 200-4R...I've read the replies above and it makes me wonder about two things:

1˚ Why the "reverse pattern" transmission?...:confused: Isn't it possible to keep a "forward pattern" ?
2˚ I also don't understand "pacecarta"s reply saying "not with the B&M shifter"...What does the shifter has to do with that?...:confused:

I understand that a TH-400 is suposedly stronger...but I'm not really interested in losing the overdrive!...:mad:

Claude. :redface:

the reverse pattern isnt the problem but it does work easier that way because no way to pull it into N or reverse full back is third gear , the thing is the th400 with brake is a full manual valve body which helps to assure the clutches have full pressure because you dont have a tv setup , full pressure the clutches will last longer
i asked eric how many runs he could expect on the 2004r on his white t before having to do a refresh and the answer was 35 , if you run say a points series the 200 will need a refresh after a season

as to the shifter ... the op stated concern over missing shifts ,my response its that wont happen with the b&M quicksilver.. its foolproof , you pull and it only goes one gear up , you push it can only go down one gear , impossible to skip a shift and no buttons or levers to to push to shift the gears
oh and whats nice unlike the hurst is it will even work with the 2004r if you decide to go back , with the hurst quarter stick you need to go buy a trans specific shifter
oh wait i guess he didnt ask about missing shifts , saw miss the automatic shifting and took it as he'll miss the gears as opposed to what he seems to have meant is hell miss having an auto shifting trans , oh well

I think someone (Lonnie?) is/was working on a full manual, reverse pattern 200R4.

Something like this would definitely interest me... as the TV cable adjustment and automatic, RPM specific shift points are a major pain in the a$$.

The only other problem is, the required high-dollar billet parts make it very expensive to produce and unaffordable to many folks.

For the same money, I think the ideal setup would be a full manual 4L80E with electric transbrake and B.O.P. bellhousing. You would have the ruggedness benefit of the TH400 and the OD benefit of the 200R4.

the reverse pattern isnt the problem but it does work easier that way because no way to pull it into N or reverse full back is third gear , the thing is the th400 with brake is a full manual valve body which helps to assure the clutches have full pressure because you dont have a tv setup , full pressure the clutches will last longer
i asked eric how many runs he could expect on the 2004r on his white t before having to do a refresh and the answer was 35 , if you run say a points series the 200 will need a refresh after a season

as to the shifter ... the op stated concern over missing shifts ,my response its that wont happen with the b&M quicksilver.. its foolproof , you pull and it only goes one gear up , you push it can only go down one gear , impossible to skip a shift and no buttons or levers to to push to shift the gears
oh and whats nice unlike the hurst is it will even work with the 2004r if you decide to go back , with the hurst quarter stick you need to go buy a trans specific shifter
oh wait i guess he didnt ask about missing shifts , saw miss the automatic shifting and took it as he'll miss the gears as opposed to what he seems to have meant is hell miss having an auto shifting trans , oh well

Thanks Paul for explaining...'suppose I'm lucky with my 200-4R as it has over 2 racing seasons in it. I remember that it cost quite a bundle back when I had Eric build it, but I got what I paid for!...Back then, Eric was one of the best transmission guys who knew how to make 200-4R's near "bullet-proof"! But I still wonder if one day, I decide to go with a TH-400, if it's possible to have a trans-brake and a "forward" shift pattern? I don't like that "reverse" pattern gimmick and also, I don't want to have to shift while driving on the street. :rolleyes: I just want to put it in "D" and go!...
As for the shifter, I already have a B&M unit ...

thanks,

Claude. :)

not with the b&M quicksilver shifter i have

i do miss the overdrive though because i really dont want to run a tall tire on the street , at the track i just shoe up with 28s

what is the problem with running 28" tires on the street ? I do it just for that reason , anyway ,street driving is fine on my set up with 28" tall MTs 325/15" , highway driving is something else , but I don't do any highway driving anyway , just street /traffic drives to work in summer time and race track ,same 28" tall tires all the time and I do not miss that 4th gear too much but if it was there :smile::smile::smile:

Guys,

What are the do's and don'ts with the reverse manual th400 set up? I head at the track you want to do your burn out in 2nd. What about street driving? Do you start in 1st? When do you down shift? etc?

I have never driven with one, but I hear so many different things. I plan to weekend drive my th400... so I need some instruction!! :)

what is the problem with running 28" tires on the street ?
its a personal preference , not a fan of the big n little tire combos , at the track no problem but on the street i run around on gtas with 26" rubber

After chewing up 2 built 200's, nope. I put a TCI TH400, FMRV and an Ultrabell, night and day difference. No regrets, except for putting the 200 back in the 2nd time

I have a turbo 400 with a Gearvendors overdrive so I feel like its the best of both worlds. The GV is rated at 2000hp so it should last a lifetime. I don't have a brake in my 400 so I still have full automatic shifting now. I might consider a brake in the future but I have never used a trans brake in any of the turbo Buicks and I have cut a lot of 1.4x 60's so I have just never felt I needed one really because I am not really interested in any better 60's than 1.4's . My car will be doing the long haul on the Power Tour this year and will see about 3K miles in 9 days so there will definately not be any manual valvebody before that!

I'd love to have a GV OD unit... but dayum they are alot of coin. ;)

I got a pretty good deal on mine. I bought a ugly 3/4 ton Suburban with a TBI 454 and a 400 with the GV. The truck was ugly but I only gave $1500 for the entire truck and drove it home. I sold the motor for $600 and I sold the roller $400 so I ended up with $500 in the GV. I picked up another GV unit about a year ago for a bargain off of craigslist. The guy I got it from bought a 72 Ford LTD from an older couple to get the motor from the car and when he pulled the motor and trans the GV was attached to it. He really wasn't too familiar with what the unit was and listed it Crainglist as a "aux. transmission". It is set up for a C6 but the the C6 adapter is worth more than a TH400 adapter so its easy to swap out one for the other.

Speaking from experience...

I have used a 400 since 2002. I am to the point I hate it! Yeah, its cheaper and not as fragile as a 200 but is does not fit the TR. When I say it doesn't fit I mean the use of the car as we all fell in love with. I can no longer wake up in the morning and make it to work in the same amount of time as my DD. I am always the slowest moving car on the highway. No overdrive is a drag. The closeest track to me is a 45 minute highway drive on a good day. the normal track we go to is about an hour and 15 minutes away. I always trailer my car now. I can't really defend myself against any high output car in the highway. You are already at 2800 to 3000 rpm with 28" tall tires to attempt to keep up with some of the traffic. Yeah I can out run them to 120 but the car is screaming on a run like that. It's only at home on the 1320!
A trans brake on the street is just for spool and intercooler noise. Try to launch with it and blow the drag radials off instantly. Shifting it contantly in traffic has become a drag especially if you are on the phone or drinking anything. I get a feeling of depression and regret when I get in a TR with a good working 200 even if the car is slower than mine.

It cost just as much to freshen it up as a 200 if your vendor takes care of you. You still need to replace some of the stock parts like the sprag and some other things. You still need the $100 HR mount, have to bend your trans lines up to get them to fit, and a new driveshaft that is not really useable if you go back to the 200. Oh and you still will have a $900 converter. you will be out of around $3000 when its all said and done. Still sound so cheap? Don't forget the increased line pressure that can destroy your thrust in the crank in short order. This will also have to be addressed

If your car is crossing over to more of a strip car then its a good idea, if you still want to go to car shows that may take more than a half an hour to get to then rethink the choice of a th400. Forget the long trips in the normal travel times. Yeah they had the 3 speeds back in the 60's and 70's but we are in 2010. We have become spoiled with 4, 5 and 6 speed trannys. Also if you do not have "TSM power", heck , even now "TAI" class power, you do not need the 400.

I am still up in the air about what I want to do. It's a poll in the trans section list some of the popular 200 builders. I hate to see Lonnie and Chris going at it but it's not the first time I have seen vendor spats on the board. All that billet stuff does not mean you will not break the trans, it just replaces some of the known weak spots. It will cost you in the $4000 range for a good 200 and converter. I'm at work and typing fast so please excuse my errors...:) Hope you guys thinking of going to a TH400 find this useful.

I think....

I have used a 400 since 2002. I am to the point I hate it! Yeah, its cheaper and not as fragile as a 200 but is does not fit the TR. When I say it doesn't fit I mean the use of the car as we all fell in love with. I can no longer wake up in the morning and make it to work in the same amount of time as my DD. I am always the slowest moving car on the highway. No overdrive is a drag. The closeest track to me is a 45 minute highway drive on a good day. the normal track we go to is about an hour and 15 minutes away. I always trailer my car now. I can't really defend myself against any high output car in the highway. You are already at 2800 to 3000 rpm with 28" tall tires to attempt to keep up with some of the traffic. Yeah I can out run them to 120 but the car is screaming on a run like that. It's only at home on the 1320!
A trans brake on the street is just for spool and intercooler noise. Try to launch with it and blow the drag radials off instantly. Shifting it contantly in traffic has become a drag especially if you are on the phone or drinking anything. I get a feeling of depression and regret when I get in a TR with a good working 200 even if the car is slower than mine.

It cost just as much to freshen it up as a 200 if your vendor takes care of you. You still need to replace some of the stock parts like the sprag and some other things. You still need the $100 HR mount, have to bend your trans lines up to get them to fit, and a new driveshaft that is not really useable if you go back to the 200. Oh and you still will have a $900 converter. you will be out of around $3000 when its all said and done. Still sound so cheap? Don't forget the increased line pressure that can destroy your thrust in the crank in short order. This will also have to be addressed

If your car is crossing over to more of a strip car then its a good idea, if you still want to go to car shows that may take more than a half an hour to get to then rethink the choice of a th400. Forget the long trips in the normal travel times. Yeah they had the 3 speeds back in the 60's and 70's but we are in 2010. We have become spoiled with 4, 5 and 6 speed trannys. Also if you do not have "TSM power", heck , even now "TAI" class power, you do not need the 400.

I am still up in the air about what I want to do. It's a poll in the trans section list some of the popular 200 builders. I hate to see Lonnie and Chris going at it but it's not the first time I have seen vendor spats on the board. All that billet stuff does not mean you will not break the trans, it just replaces some of the known weak spots. It will cost you in the $4000 range for a good 200 and converter. I'm at work and typing fast so please excuse my errors...:) Hope you guys thinking of going to a TH400 find this useful.

that was very honest, I thought hard on the 400, but the need of the 4th gear always overshadowed any benefit in my mind. I have Lonnies big 200-4r and no complaints. I purchased Chris' rebuild kit for the spare 200. And the $4000.00 price is very accurate for a price tag.:eek:

It will cost you in the $4000 range for a good 200 and converter.

Yep, exactly!...It cost me close to that when Eric built my 200-4R 5 or 6 years ago with all the good stuff...But it never broke!...I guess "you get what you pay for"!

"jasjamz", you post confirms that I should KEEP MY 200-4R! :wink:

Claude. :wink:

P.S: I'm still waiting for someone to tell me if it's possible to have a "'forward pattern" TH-400 with trans-brake?...