?those of you with th400 and transbreak?

I don't really miss the automatic shifting of the 200 in both my cars with 400s. The T Type rarely sees street duty so it doesn't matter anyway. In my clone I have the same B&M Quicksilver shifter pacecarta has. It makes it a lot easier shifting on the street and it becomes second nature. For the track, I prefer the Hurst QuarterStick thats in the T as I like the gated shifts but I do have to pull a lever to go to 3rd gear. With the Quicksilver you have to release the shifter between each gear and let it go back to a neutral position before you go to the next gear. The Quicksilver is more of a slapper shifter whereas the QuarterStick is good when you like to hold the shifter tight the whole time.

As far as cost, I don't think that is a complaint most TH400 users have, especially if you want an electric transbrake. Just looking on the Extreme Automatics website for a low 10sec trans..... A TH400 with a transbrake good to 1200HP runs about $1800. A 2004R with an electric transbrake good to 750HP will run $2500 using your BRF trans as a core. You should upgrade the driveshaft and yokes once you go transbrake anyway whether its a 200 or a 400. The price for a topnotch PTC converter I think is about the same for a 200 or 400. If you buy the TH400 you can also sell your 2004R to get some money back. You'd probably save $1500 going with a 400 over a 200 and have a stronger trans. If you go used, the 400 is even cheaper. I did that on my clone and only have $1200 in the trans and converter and they would last until the 8s. Plus I'm not worried about having a local tranny guy touch a TH400.

Not having overdrive does stink though. Not having money from all the dough I spent on 2004Rs stunk worse though. :)

Guys,

What are the do's and don'ts with the reverse manual th400 set up? I head at the track you want to do your burn out in 2nd. What about street driving? Do you start in 1st? When do you down shift? etc?

I have never driven with one, but I hear so many different things. I plan to weekend drive my th400... so I need some instruction!! :)

If you still want one after my previous post:wink:...Do not put it in netural when you cross the finish line. It's not going to have the engine braking function you can do with the regular transmissions. Yes, you have to start in first after you come to a stop.In the burnout, start them spinning in first and go to second to draw some smoke. Downshift as needed to keep the car moving without wasting RPM. I have become lazy and get to 3 as fast as possible and stay there until I have to slow down to under 25mph or so.

do any of you guys miss having a full auto trans while your street driving? i was thinking about filling my 200-4r with billet pieces but i have 2 th400's in the garage and i was going to put a break in one of those and put it in, but i have a feeling ill miss the automatic shifting due to having a transbreak.

Drive your car in regular "d" on the highway and see if you like it. Then, on the street start in 1st gear, and shift it yourself up to 3rd. Never let it shift for you if possible and do that for about 45 minutes. That may get you close to what the th 400 is like.

Turbo 400 w brake requires 2nd gear burnouts and has no engine braking. Lift off the gas in 4th with the 200 and you have no engine braking due to the one way roller, the 400 with a brake is that way in all gears.

Another thing that the 400 will not handle due to it having a weak link. I.e. snd gear sprag is if someone comes up next to you and want to run from say 55 or 60. You cant ratchet down to 2nd and hit it with the 400 as it will kill the sprag.

The 400 works but your driving style HAS to change to accomodate its quirks.

400 ..cons

No 4th gear
No engine braking with brake and manual VB
2nd gear burnouts
No down shift to second hits when roll racing
Consumes more horsepower than 200
Different driveshaft

Pros
Stronger when used properly
Possibly stay in te hcar longer between fresh ups.

Either way i would use Lonnie at extreme automatics

I think I will eventually look into a Gear Vendors overdrive unit for mine... that way I can keep the rugged reliability of the TH400... and still have that 4th/OD gear for the highway.

I think I will eventually look into a Gear Vendors overdrive unit for mine... that way I can keep the rugged reliability of the TH400... and still have that 4th/OD gear for the highway.

This is true, but you don;t get off so easy. The converter must be really tight or it will slip on the highway, stall speed must be under 3k at 0psi boost, or you will defeat the whole purpose of the overdrive. The unit weighs 46 lbs and has only a .78 overdrive ratio, adding 69 lbs over a th2004R and the extra weight of the TH400. The oil has to be changed every 5000 miles. The unit is not rated for 2000 hp unless it is modded by GV. I average 2500 rpm@65 mph with a 27.5" tire and 3.50 gear in overdrive and 3100 rpm out of overdrive.

Dont waste the money on the GV. If you are going that route go 4L80e then you will at least you have lockup and the weight will be the same.

The 400 works but your driving style HAS to change to accomodate its quirks.

400 ..cons

No 4th gear
No engine braking with brake and manual VB
2nd gear burnouts
No down shift to second hits when roll racing
Consumes more horsepower than 200
Different driveshaft

Pros
Stronger when used properly
Possibly stay in te hcar longer between fresh ups.

Wow! :eek:...After reading this post and "jasjamz"s earlier post about the TH-400, I definitely DON'T WANT ONE! :eek: :mad: I don't want to have to alter my driving habits just to suit the 400's "requirements"( manual, reverse pattern, etc...)...I think it makes driving the car on the street much less enjoyable. :mad:

Claude. :rolleyes:

Wow! :eek:...After reading this post and "jasjamz"s earlier post about the TH-400, I definitely DON'T WANT ONE! :eek: :mad: I don't want to have to alter my driving habits just to suit the 400's "requirements"( manual, reverse pattern, etc...)...I think it makes driving the car on the street much less enjoyable. :mad:

Claude. :rolleyes:

Its a big step towards "race" car IMO

Its a big step towards "race" car IMO

Well, I dunno...maybe you're right...:confused:...BUT my car is a "STREET & strip" car...meaning that besides racing it every now and then, I enjoy driving it too, which is the main reason for wanting to keep the 200-4R.

Claude. :redface:

ok I have a customer here that did a 400 (manual shift) .. I drove the car around the block a few times testing an alky set up .. NOT my idea of fun BUT he thinks its the best thing since sliced bread :p SOOOO I guess to each their own :cool:

I did the manual VB th400 with a brake a while back and I really miss my overdrive. There is no such thing a cruising on the interstate and keeping up with traffic. Unless that is you want to spin the motor at 3500 for a long time. Around town the manual shifting part isnt too bad but it can get old at times. I am going back to the th2004R soon. I will take the car to track to see what it does with the 400 before I remove it, but I havent been to track in over 5 years with the car so there is no point in keeping the "racecar" setup for a transmission. Its a "street car" right!!:wink: