Those looking to run C5/C6/LS1 or Z06 REAR brakes on a 8.5" 10 bolt, Look inside!!!!

GinoRin

Hey everyone.
As some of you know I went off the deep end with my GN and now I'm into the brake system. I have been searching HIGH and LOW for a good solution for rear disk brakes, and I have finally decided on running a set of 2007 Corvette Z06 brakes all around. They're 14" rotors and 6 piston PBR calipers in front and 4 piston PBR calipers and 13.4" rotors in the rear. This setup uses 20 seperate brake pads (one for each piston) and should have some SERIOUS stopping power! Anyways, I digress :biggrin:

The problem I ran into is for the rear brakes. Since our 8.5" GM 10 bolt rearend is kind of a unique piece compared to the 7.5, there are really no companies that make a rear caliper bracket that's plug and play without serious axle housing modification. There are plenty of kits out there for the corporate 7.5 or normal 8.5" rearend, but that would require us to hack up our axle tube flanges and is a huge PITA. Noone I can find makes a bracket setup that is plug and play for using any of the LS1 F body or C5/C6 brake components. I have seen some that use a small 10 or 11" rotor and a Lincoln caliper, or even an old 1-piston Caddy Eldorado caliper, but lets face it, they can't hold enough boost to warrant the effort installing them.

So after some research, i found a company called KORE3 Industries that makes some really slick adapters to use the C5/C6 brake components on a lot of different applications, but of course they don't have one for ours. I gave Tobin a call at KORE3 and he is willing to make a specialized bracket JUST for the 8.5" GM 10 bolt!!! I was excited to hear this for obvious reasons, but like any other small proprietor, Tobin has other priorities in front of making this bracket kit, and told me it would be a few months before he got around to it. After a good conversation with Tobin about the need and potential demand for his product, he told me he would be willing to move our kit up on his to-do list if we could show him enough interest to make it a priority to him.

So here's what we need to do:
Email Tobin at info@kore3.com and tell him you're interested in the Rear caliper bracket kit for the Grand National, and he will add you to his email list for upcoming developments. If we can get enough interested parties on board, he will make this kit a priority, which in my opinion is LONG overdue for us!! By the way, here is a similar kit he did for the corporate 10/12 bolt rears: KORE3 Industries LLC: On and Off-Road Performance Automotive Components

Any feedback, lemme know, otherwise everyone bombard Tobin's email with requests to get the ball rollin' on this puppy!!!!

make sure to point out to them that this same beacket will work on every A and G body from 78-88, and on 82-92 F body with the 7.5 rear axle and drum brakes. i think the S trucks from the 80's also have this screwball setup, as well.
the GN market is kind of small- but there are millions of those other cars out there, with maybe a few thousand of them looking for bigger brakes..

Gino you have once again took the time and effort to make my frustration with this problem go away I have been searching for a soluton to the rear disc setup with greater size. Thanks again I emailed them. Also email pics of how you did your fronts. Thanks EJ:biggrin:p.S. If you have problems with the multi pads let me know I work with the best corvette gut in the US who is an avide road racer and autocrosser by way are you ruining a hydraboost system.

I just saw this post over on Pro-Touring.com and emailed him as well. Definetly appreciate the effort on your part to get this going, this should be a great thing!

IMO there isn't enough meat on the axle flange to support any type of disc adapter plate. Especially on the bottom part of the flange. The stock flange barely has enough strength for the stock 9.5" drum. What the heck you going to do when those massive discs rip apart when you do any type of racing or even a panic brake from 100MPH???

Adapters aint the solution. You need to weld some decent flanges on the end of the axle. What the heck is another couple of hundred dollars when you're breaking the bank with a couple of thousand dollars of Vette brakes?

meat on flange

I swapped a 96 stang disc setup on a 93 and it had a sort of triangulated piece with a u-bolt that added strength. Maybe a similar way to fabricate a bracket for our cars. Just look under any 94- 99 mustang and the caliper bracket. I am definately interested in this kit. Ill shoot him an e-mail.

Update: I emailed Tobin at Kore3 to check the status so I'll see what he has to day! Stay Tuned

Gary,
Take a closer look. Those kits aren't for the G-body 8.5". It's a completely different animal. The rear axle mounting pad is completely different, which is what I mentioned in a different post. Kore3 has had the conventional 8.5" rear kits for quite some time, no new news there.

Thanks

thats why im converting to ford housing ends in the spring, the GN 10 bolt just doesnt have enough meat on it, as stated above, for that kind of braking power. Also i know brakes are a great thing to have, but the Z06 stuff is just overkill. the 13"/11" combo is more than enough, and will stop better than 90% of cars out there, the 14"/13.5" is not justified in the cost. In a couple years when it comes down a bit, then i could see it.
Gary

UPDATE!! I just heard from Tobin on this, here's his email response:

Gino,

Thanks for checking in. We've got the prototypes for the race kit at
plating right now and have them scheduled for fitment and testing over the
next couple of weeks. We ran into a few snags with the parking brake design
and are awaiting the results from the race kit before we proceed with the
parking brake kit design.

Regards,
Tobin
KORE3

Well I subscribed! Even though I think that a 6 piston caliper on front and a 4 piston on the rear would be a BIG over kill for our cars unless the car is going to be roadraced like at road atlanta or similar, even on a autocross course it would be over kill.. They would look nice! but thats a high price just to look nice IMO.. I autocross mine and it has the worn out 20yr old brakes still on it and after a good straight away I didn't have a problem breaking! Ask ( Excessiv) he has seen it on several auto-x course's and it does pretty damnn well for what "It don't have!" :biggrin: It has beat some high priced cars on the auto-x :biggrin: :biggrin:

PS: There is no dought our cars could use these up-grades and I like to see people making the parts to make it possible. But what I seem to keep asking myself is: " Where do we draw the line?" I come up with, it all depends on what your goals are!

1) Don't go "Over kill" if it's not needed...
2) Pay ALOT of attention to the drivabillity of the car.. Braces, poly body bushings, Huge rims with very low profile tires can seem to make a car real stiff and make it ride like a wood wagon feeling every bump in the road.
3) I'm taking a simple approch with some simple thinking and so far my car keeps handling better and better WITHOUT loosing my 60' times at the strip and keeping the ride nice and smooth.

Gino buddy, Keep us informed on the progress
Scot w.

Hey Scott,
I know it's probably overkill, but I got a SMOKIN' deal on the set of 4 C6 Z06 calipers, rotors, and pads from Fred Beans Parts, plus I love they way they look and theres no other GN running around with that setup that I know of. Infact the entire C6 Z06 setup cost me less than my Baer Track plus fronts did alone, so why not go for it? When I pair it up with a Hydratech this thing should put my head through the windshield. The only drawback to these monsters is you need to run some big dollar three piece wheels for proper clearance. I bought a set of Simmons 3-piece 18" wheels and the fronts didnt fit, so it looks like i have to move to an HRE or similar wheel for proper caliper clearance. I'm trying to stick with an 18" wheel so I have a little sidewall, otherwise I'm going to have to go 19s.

By the way I love your car, it looks great! I'll keep everyone posted on this stuff...