This really burns my *****!!!!

Bad Buick

GN Obsessed
Hi, Guys....Dave from Cambridge Ontario Canada.Contrary to popular belief we do not live in igloos,nor do we use dog sleds for transportation,nor does it snow all year round.Thought I would clear that up for you Southern Buick owners.However we do get snow 5 months of the year,from November till March.So as intelligent people, sometime after Halloween, we store our fine automotive collectibles.Some people though,continue to amaze me by either driving their Turbo Buicks in the salt and snow, turning these vehicles into rust buckets.Yes it is YOUR car,YOUR choice what you do with it.After all the fewer cars left only makes my GN. even more rare and valuable.C'mon guys!!! Are these limited editions of AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY not worth a place in a garage for safe keeping?There...Iv'e got that off my chest.In the meantime feast your teary eyes on a couple of rusting works of art.The first one is a bonafide GNX.This one is about an hour from me.I knocked on his door hoping he didn't know what he had....Asked if he wanted to sell it...His reply was"No...Lots of people ask him...but it's not for sale".I guess he's content letting it rot outside while the Hyudais are inside his double car garage!!!! This other poor GN sits about a couple of miles from me.
Guess some people just don't care.That's all I have to say,tissue in hand. :confused:
North of the Border Dave

Attachments

• DSC00001[2].jpg
    DSC00001[2].jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00005[1].jpg
    DSC00005[1].jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC00002[1].jpg
    DSC00002[1].jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC00003[1].jpg
    DSC00003[1].jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 299
Bad Buick said:
Hi, Guys....Dave from Cambridge Ontario Canada.Contrary to popular belief we do not live in igloos,nor do we use dog sleds for transportation,nor does it snow all year round.Thought I would clear that up for you Southern Buick owners.However we do get snow 5 months of the year,from November till March.So as intelligent people, sometime after Halloween, we store our fine automotive collectibles.Some people though,continue to amaze me by either driving their Turbo Buicks in the salt and snow, turning these vehicles into rust buckets.Yes it is YOUR car,YOUR choice what you do with it.

It is his car....
While it is a shame, whatcha gonna do?...

I live in snow country, and if the roads are dry, mine's driven. It's probably less then a perfect life for the car, but I'm not going to deny myself the fun of ownership for someone else further down the line, after I'm gone...

Judging from the rust out doors, that one's about gone already, and if wants to keep it, till it disappears, well it is his car.

Yes, it his car, it just goes to prove some people are not too smart. My GN is in the garage and my truck lives outside....But Bruce is right whatcha gonna do?

FWIW & IMHO:
It really is not of our concern. If it was not for people like him, our cars would be more in # and less in value. You should go and thank him for making ours more valuable. Come to think about it, we all should. If everyone took care of these cars as we do, every one would be left and they wouldn't be worth near what they are now. I am just glad that I do not take care of mine like that.

Maybe some of these folks simply don't have the $$ to restore these cars but don't want to part with them either. I don't want to part with my Turbo T but I questioned whether I should spend the $$ on getiing it done over. It's not cheap and parts like doors that are rust free are hard to come by on an almost 20 year old car.

bruce said:
It is his car....
While it is a shame, whatcha gonna do?...

I live in snow country, and if the roads are dry, mine's driven. It's probably less then a perfect life for the car, but I'm not going to deny myself the fun of ownership for someone else further down the line, after I'm gone...

Judging from the rust out doors, that one's about gone already, and if wants to keep it, till it disappears, well it is his car.
If you look close, it's not the doors, it's the rockers that are gone on that car. :eek:

Wells said:
FWIW & IMHO:
It really is not of our concern. If it was not for people like him, our cars would be more in # and less in value. You should go and thank him for making ours more valuable. Come to think about it, we all should. If everyone took care of these cars as we do, every one would be left and they wouldn't be worth near what they are now. I am just glad that I do not take care of mine like that.

No offense but I could care less what my GN is worth. I would rather see EVERY GN, T-Type, T, TTA and GNX ever made still on the road in pristine condition even if it meant mine was worth $50. I didn't buy mine as an investment (that's what stocks and bonds are for) nor do I keep it and pray for others to get totaled just so mine will go up in value. I only drive mine when it's nice and I take care of it so it will be nice FOR ME. I don't like driving junk. I don't even like driving a dirty car. But everytime I see a rare car rotting to the ground it just makes me ill. Like the Superbird sitting behind a house in my town, wrapped in a blue tarp where it's sat, in the mud, for the last 20 years. Yes it's his car and he can do what he wants but he is a dickhead for doing that to that car. Just like the jackoff with the GNX in the driveway.

gn1220 said:
No offense but I could care less what my GN is worth. I would rather see EVERY GN, T-Type, T, TTA and GNX ever made still on the road in pristine condition even if it meant mine was worth $50. I didn't buy mine as an investment (that's what stocks and bonds are for) nor do I keep it and pray for others to get totaled just so mine will go up in value. I only drive mine when it's nice and I take care of it so it will be nice FOR ME. I don't like driving junk. I don't even like driving a dirty car. But everytime I see a rare car rotting to the ground it just makes me ill. Like the Superbird sitting behind a house in my town, wrapped in a blue tarp where it's sat, in the mud, for the last 20 years. Yes it's his car and he can do what he wants but he is a dickhead for doing that to that car. Just like the jackoff with the GNX in the driveway.
------------------------------------------
Opinions differ. Mine was not bought for an investment, either, but it is nice to know that they hold their value, or go up rather than down, or don't go down very much. I can't get too excited about that type of thing.

I assume that photo of that GNX is not road driven in the salt.
Just because it sitting outside doesn't mean it is going to rust away. Sure it doesn't help it.

I have seen lots of folks store cars outside that look nice. of course some proper prep & a good cover would be nice.

As for that other GN photo it is already a rust bucket.

When these cars were New I saw them drive all the time in winter.
Heck they sat on dealer lots too.

Candidates for restoration?

Maybe these guys are looking to someday get the Buick back on the road, restore it or give it to their kid when he can handle it. Who knows? :frown:

If they don't want to sell maybe they are thinking of doing some fixing when the resources are available. After all they ended up with a turbo possession more than likely by choice. A good choice! Now maybe if they knew some other turbo Buick owners or had a computer to hook up to all these wonderful resources and people on the web or find a good mechanic, maybe things would change?

I say keep after them. Stop by now and then, let em know you still notice the car sitting there. Kick the dirt, tell em where you get parts, where you get advice, who helps you and maybe bring a cold six and the 1/4 miler...or trophy you drive. Sh****t, you might get to know them.

Yeh its too bad the Hyundai (It's his wifes) is in the garage, but maybe all the guy needs to get off his dime azzz is a little boost.
lol .....later dwall

I drive mine in the winter but it is cleaned/washed (including the underbody) regularly and I avoid salt/snow-covered roads when possible. It is stored in the garage but I drive it when I want to drive it. In the winter, I take off the Drag Radials and nice rims and enjoy my car just like the next guy. Of course, if it had ABS and traction control that would be great but in a way it does - it's just that my right foot is the ABS and 'traction control! ;)

A car is meant to be driven. There is nothing wrong with driving them when you want - winter included - and if somebody wants to let their car rust away that is there business. Sad, but still their business.

Sure, I would love to have that GNX! But just because the guy is letting it sit out doesn't make him an idiot or an a$$hole. It's still HIS car and this is still America.

For starters this is Canada, not the U.S.This GNX is driven daily in the slush and SALT.He does have a 2 car garage.He could easily park it inside.Don't get me wrong....As I said its his choice.I was just relaying the fact that it is a shame ,especially for the GNX that he doesnt apreciate the fact that his car is one of 547,and a serious piece of automotive history.As for you guys who want to drive your cars in the snow and salt, All the power to you.Just not my thing.I would rather buy a winter beater and not have to restore a TR.

Might as well just put Money outside and let it Blow Away

If he does know what he has, he could just be the type that just really doesnt care about what happens to the car and is," Thats my car, Im not selling it and thats the end of it.
While we cringe at this work of art and rare history go up in rust. I've been to Nova Scotia in my old Monte Carlo and put it in the Snow once. The bottom of the car before it hit the salt was nice, two times in the snow and rust started to form everywhere.

Hell, I'm driving my GN right now in the winter and all, but then again it's about 75* in Jan...I love San Antonio! :biggrin:

Snow...what's that???

But my car never sees rain because MT DRs + rain aren't a good combo.

Bad Buick said:
For starters this is Canada, not the U.S.This GNX is driven daily in the slush and SALT.He does have a 2 car garage.He could easily park it inside.Don't get me wrong....As I said its his choice.I was just relaying the fact that it is a shame ,especially for the GNX that he doesnt apreciate the fact that his car is one of 547,and a serious piece of automotive history.As for you guys who want to drive your cars in the snow and salt, All the power to you.Just not my thing.I would rather buy a winter beater and not have to restore a TR.

Still driving in winter & parking it inside is not going to make a difference.
I have seen cars in the new england area back in the old days (PRE 80) drive in snow, salt & slush. then put in a garage overnight & they rusted just as bad as anyone sitting outside. Going from wet, cold to warm dry is what causes rust to spread faster.

I remember seeing cars (Especially MOPARS from 68 to 77) turn into rust buckets over one winter.

As for what this guy gets for a price when he sells his GNX it will be top dollar for the condition. He probably knows that someone will RESTO the GNX with all new parts.

Bad Buick said:
For starters this is Canada, not the U.S.

True - but you still have a democratic society, right?

Same thing in my view. It's HIS car - he can do with it what he wants.

I agree with the idea to keep in touch with him to see if he would sell though. It would be nice to see it go to someone who would preserve it with more care during inclement weather.

Tell him you know of at least one crazy Yankee who would pay him well in good ol' American dollars if he won't sell it to his neighbor.

My father-in-law has a '67 Camaro ss with a 350 4 speed that he bought brand new with 4 miles on in. I now sits under a large oak. When I say "under", I mean under. With the recent Hurricane we had, the oak it was parked under blew over on top of the car. It was so far gone that it was sad. About 4 inches of acorns and shells on the floor. Rats ate all the seat foam, wiring, and insulation. The lips where all the weather striping goes is rusted off. But all original. I offer to buy it a few months before I married his daughter, hoping he would give it up to his "favorite" son-in-law but no dice.

James L.

Let me guess, "He's going to fix it up one day." or "I will be buried in that car." No, wait, "I would rather let it rot than see someone else drive it." :rolleyes: :mad: WTF ever. No offense to your father-in-law but that is just disgusting. Oh wait, it makes all of the others worth more. :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just took my car out the other day, in the RAIN!!! I bought it, ill drive it. Sure it has some rust, but i bought it that way. I will one day restore it, and i may not drive it in the snow but im sure it will still hit rain.

gn1220 said:
Yes it's his car and he can do what he wants but he is a dickhead for doing that to that car. Just like the jackoff with the GNX in the driveway.

Totally agree. I find this disturbing also, what’s the point? I could do whatever I want with my GN, but that doesn’t make me smart.