This may be bad!

PsychoBuickBoy

The Money Pit
So, I leave work yesterday in my GN (about a 20 mile drive home). I notice right away that the car is running real rough. I stop and check the plug wires, play with the MAF, check the intercooler connections, look at oil; everything appears to be OK. I decide to limp it home, it started out doing OK and started gradually getting worse. I had oil pressure and the temps all were in normal range. I get about a half mile from my house and it feels like it is running on 3 cyclinders and there is a noticable tick some where around the front of the engine. Finally it dies and will not start. It is home now in my garage. I try to start it and as soon as it fires it shakes and dies. Feels like a timing problem. What is TurboBuicks opinion?

Nick, I may leave this one for you to look at. I just hope it isn't major. :(

Todd

Todd

pull the cap off the cam sensor and make sure the ring is in place and tight........

take a look at the crank sensor.........

Thanks Woody,
I was in Mexico all last week on vacation. I will check that out some time this week. I hope you are right!

I was thinking a clogged CAT, but that wouldn't explain the ticking.

Could be timing related, maybe your timing chain skipped a few teeth?

Cam sensor is only used by the ecm at startup, once started it can be disconnected with no ill effects, so if it was getting worse on the drive home, I wouldn't suspect it. Maybe the crank sensor is loose, that would explain the ticking up front also, if loose and getting hit and banged around by the timing tabs on the crank, that would explain it. The crank sensor is mounted behind the harmonic balancer on the driver side.

FYI, the cam sensor continues to control fueling timing after start......the car will run when the cam sensor is disconnected, but it defaults to batch fire mode, not sequential

also many bad things can happen if the cam sensor is out of whack and not disconnected.....backfire and detonation

Just thought I would update you all on my findings! The Intercooler bolt by the crank senosr bracket came loose must have shook things up a bit and loosened the long bolt that holds the crank sensor. I could move the crank sensor with my hand! It was damaged a bit so i will replace hopefully this weekend. I know it has been a long time but you all know how these things go - too busy!

Todd