This may be a dumb question! But..

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
I just installed my trunk lid after having it painted and it's been gone so damn long I forgot what shuts the trunk light off after closing the trunk?? I installed it and it works but I don't know if it's staying on all the time or what even makes it shut off.. ?????? Please help with this stupid issue so it don't drain my optima batt. Thanks, Scot w.

It's a mercury switch it cuts off after the trunk is at a certain angle mine cuts off about 3-4" away from shut.

Sleeper1987 said:
It's a mercury switch it cuts off after the trunk is at a certain angle mine cuts off about 3-4" away from shut.
Where is it? I don't see anything else and I even looked at my old trunk and nothing!!! ????

Like previously said, you should be able to close it 3/4 of the way and watch the light go out. Leave it a couple inches open and see if its still on. If it is, then you have a problem and probably need to re-seat the light.

fwiw if its like the hood light,its not mercury, just a metal piece that slides down when trunk is up to make the circut.

garyk1970 said:
fwiw if its like the hood light,its not mercury, just a metal piece that slides down when trunk is up to make the circut.

A mercury switch is a switch whose purpose is to allow or interrupt the flow of electric current in an electrical circuit in a manner that is dependent on the switch's physical position or alignment relative to the direction of the "pull" of earth's gravity.

A tilt switch is similar in use and design but doesnt use toxic mercury and is probly what is installed in our cars

trunk/ hood switches

Hi,
Well, I have an old switch laying around. If I get really bored,and can remember this conversation, I will dissect it, and find out what makes it tick. I'll bet a bead of mercury is in there...

83ttypecooled said:
Hi,
Well, I have an old switch laying around. If I get really bored,and can remember this conversation, I will dissect it, and find out what makes it tick. I'll bet a bead of mercury is in there...

ill take that bet! I just dicected/repaired my hood lamp and it had a metal piece that slid up and down that made the connection realitive to the angle of hood,the trunk will be the same...

also ive never seen a mercury switch for a high amperage (3 amps and up)applications,only low amperage such as alarm system sensors,etc......

my car didnt have a hood light on it when i bought it,so i stole one off the parts car,and I had to extend the lead out of it,i had to see how it worked while i had it apart :biggrin: now,if i can just remember to stop at a parts house for a single filament bulb!!!