This is for you hot air guys

Tired of the hot air ?

Well ive been thinking long and very hard about something..

I call this,... "What if?"

As we begin..

What if, you were to put a COLD AIR INTAKE on your car?
The intake temps SHOULD drop, a bit... but probaly not enough to matter.

What if, you were to put a Thermal Wrapping around your Cold Air Intake?
It Would probaly Keep out a little more heat, and keep your temps from
heating up more.

What if, you were to build a little 9x9x12 Inch Sheet metal Box with a 3" Peice of Intake Piping thru it?
You probaly dont under stand that last one... Let me explain in greater detail.

What if you were to build the little box, and insert it infront of your radiator, behind your grill? So your intake piping runs thru it? This box is WATER TIGHT,
- Keeps water out of the Intake pipe
- Keeps water from leaking out.

Now, The Kicker.

What if you were to have a Cold Air Style Intake with an air scoop to scoop up the cool outside air, and your whole piping system was thermal wrapped to keep as much heat out?
And what if that little box infront of your radiator was designed to have

I C E - W A T E R

Put in it?
And What if you didnt care about the Hassel of after the ice turned to liquid, to open up the drain on the bottom of the box, drain out most of the water. Then fill it back up with ice?

Seems to me that you would have the Baddest, Coldest, Cold Air Intake On the planet!

But as you know there is always that one little reason that god DOESNT want it to work.

Thats were you come in.

Tell me why this wont work and ill try to refine, my idea.

Any Sugguestions?
Greatly Appreaciated.

Cody
84 GN

Neat idea, but....

Will a drop in air intake temps before the TB make that much of a difference on a Hot-Air car? Since the intake charge gets compressed AFTER the TB..... :confused:

Thats what i was thinking, but decided to let it out of my paragraph.

True, the intake temps will be shot up after compression.

but my question is... what if the intake charge was ALOT colder before it HIT the turbo?

wouldnt it still be cooler?

I mean, as an example.

Stock Set up 100 degrees @ Filter, 7 degrees increase per ft of pipe. 3 ft, so its 121 degrees by the time it HITS the TB, and once it hits the TB its shot up an additional 20 degrees. and when it gets compressed another 20 degrees.

So your manifold air temp should be around 170 degrees.

Now lets say you get 65-70 degree out side air. and then you enter it into a chamber of 35 degree air, and it cools down to around 40-45 degrees, then with the thermal wrapping it only increases by 3 degrees, and you now have 5 ft of pipe, so thats 15 degrees, then 20 once it hits the turbo/tb, and another 20 once its compressed

so the end result. is 110-120 degrees Intame manifold air temp..

i know this is a hypothesis, but havent you guys ever heard of a Pre-Cooler?

Just kinda curious, as to why it wouldnt work that way.

what if you run the air through...lets say...an intercooler between the turbo and TB? :biggrin:

A v2 setup just sold a couple weeks ago complete for 400. I dont think you will notice that much gain cooling down the air b4 the t/b. You could always run a alky kit if price is a factor.

Real world intake temps on a stock hotair with boost turned up to 18psi and a cold air induction were in the 300-320 degree range. Normal running temps on a cool night were in the 170 degree range. With a front mount on the same setup I saw 120 degree temps under boost under the same conditions going from memory from 6 years ago. Not surprisingly, with the intercooler, the car felt faster under normal driving even without boost.

One interesting thing I found is that the inlet temps read by the MAT in the filter were the same under WOT with and without a cold air intake but cooler with the cold air intake under normal driving. I guess maybe it draws enough outside air under WOT to cool it to ambient.

why not?

I doubt it would make a quantifiable difference unless you used something like dry ice in the box, but hey, its worth a shot. Any decrease in inlet temps simply can't hurt. as an afterthought about dry ice, i wonder if sublimating directly into CO2 would have adverse affects on power i.e. displacing oxygen.