Thinking of painting it black

Hardway

I am at crossroads with my TTA. The engine is currently out getting rebuilt and the car is in need of a paint job and spoiler. I already picked up a fiberglass replacement so I am good there. With the engine being out, if there was ever a time to do a color change, this would be it. Plus, since every TTA was white and the only factory black one known to exist was one of the prototypes, it would definitely make for some interesting conversation at the shows. I think the black GTA's look great. White looks good, dont get me wrong but it just gets boring after awhile. Have any of you seen or heard of anyone else painting their TTA another color? My car has over 200K miles on it so collectability is something I am not concerned with.

Color change

I say go for it. Black is cool, but it is more labor intensive to keep looking good. It shows bad bodywork too, so make sure the guy painting it has the talent needed to make it look straight.

I'd take it a step further and put a GTA emblem set on it that matches the paint color you choose. That would make the car a real sleeper.;) I've always wanted to do that to a tta, but I haven't come across a higher mileage candidate to use. I'd even change the center of the taillight panel to one with the red reflector. That way the "turbo" strip can be preserved since they are hard to find now.

Its your choice it would take alot of work to make it look good. I seen a TTA awhile back that had a loud burgandy color scheme on it. I didnt like it someone else must have

I think it would be cool. Like the X-Ray GNX that the guy from ASC did. It's white. Have the indy door sticker done to complete it. Any good graphics place could do a copy. The badges would be ok left white, well maybe someone in the jewelery business could do copys or have an artist do some black GTA emblems to look like tubo emblems. Here's a photoshoped picture of mine.
blackTTA.jpg

Thanks for the rendetion Sverble. I will definitely do the emblems but not sure on the door stickers. I may have some magnetic banners made for the doors to have for shows. Driving it around I would want people to think its just a black GTA.

There were actually 2 black 88 TTA's back in the days. Both used for the emission testing. 1 of them resides in Atlanta GA the other one I have no clue if it survived or not.

Anyway black would looke really cool, to do it properlu you would need to strip the car down (bumpers, doors, rear hatch, hood, fenders, aero kit etc) to make sare you get paint everywhere or the white will show.

I think if I were going to paint it, I'd have the decals made like in the photo above, and leave the turbo emblems and such on the car. 99 out of 100 people don't know what these cars are even in their stock white and all emblems there, and decal appearence, so I don't think you'll be giving anything any to most all people anyway as far as the "sleeper" goes.
Those who do know these cars may really appreciate seeing one of a different color and knowing its a turbo car from the few clues left on the car. Otherwise to me it would be almost the same as just getting a real GTA and putting a turbo drivetrain in it if you strip all of the TTA specific items off the car.

I think if I were going to paint it, I'd have the decals made like in the photo above, and leave the turbo emblems and such on the car. 99 out of 100 people don't know what these cars are even in their stock white and all emblems there, and decal appearence, so I don't think you'll be giving anything any to most all people anyway as far as the "sleeper" goes.
Those who do know these cars may really appreciate seeing one of a different color and knowing its a turbo car from the few clues left on the car. Otherwise to me it would be almost the same as just getting a real GTA and putting a turbo drivetrain in it if you strip all of the TTA specific items off the car.

Exactly what I was thinking. Check out the GNX- xRay on the GNX section. It's an inverted GNX. All the emblems and "looks" of GNX but as a flip.

The guy building my motor also works in a Lincoln/Mercury dealership body shop. I may see what kind of deal he can get me since it would be good to have someone I know on the inside. I wil let you know what I come up with.

That black photoshop looks pretty cool. It just needs a gold fire chicken on the hood and Burt Reynolds driving it...

Black TTA

I am at crossroads with my TTA. The engine is currently out getting rebuilt and the car is in need of a paint job and spoiler. I already picked up a fiberglass replacement so I am good there. With the engine being out, if there was ever a time to do a color change, this would be it. Plus, since every TTA was white and the only factory black one known to exist was one of the prototypes, it would definitely make for some interesting conversation at the shows. I think the black GTA's look great. White looks good, dont get me wrong but it just gets boring after awhile. Have any of you seen or heard of anyone else painting their TTA another color? My car has over 200K miles on it so collectability is something I am not concerned with.

Thinking of getting a fiberglass wing before I put some fresh black paint back on. Who has the best wing?

Attachments

• TTA PICS 034.jpg
    TTA PICS 034.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 241
I would suggest signing up for the website, they have a group buy going with Hawks for like a $50 discount I believe on the spoilers.

Everytime I try to sign up it has sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.:confused:

I would suggest signing up for the website, they have a group buy going with Hawks for like a $50 discount I believe on the spoilers.

+1

I think your ability to view and post has to be approved first, not the signing up. Anyway, it's going to be worth your while to get in on this group purchase as it closes at the end of Jan. and we need one more buyer to close the deal.

Send an e-mail to the admin over there to get signed on.