Thinking maybe about a Nitrous Kit??

Sly87

I have been thinking avout a Nitrous Kit for my T-Type.Im looking for 50-75 HP range.I don't want to get to crazy because this is only a street driven car.I can't find a Kit listed for the T-Type's anywhere.I know alot of guys think Nitrous is bad on our Turbo cars but alot of guys still like them.I know the tune is important with Nitrous but should I be ok with a 50-75 Hp kit if I can find one :confused:

As long as you understand you will need octane.. and you monitor knock.. you'll be ok.

That button will make the boost jump up.. :D

With 93 being the highest octane I would use, would a 50-75 shot of nitrous be to much?? I know I would have to adjust my boost(max 18lbs) but would I have to pull a little timing as well?? I have a Jay Carter 93 Chip thats works real well but Im unsure if i would have to change that to a custom Chip for the Nitrous.

With a 35 shot your boost will jump 3-5 lbs.

You better have 110/116 gas if you plan on spraying or you'll see why some Buick guys say negative things.

So yes.. if you want to hurt it.. leave the 93 octane and spray it.

Razors a smart guy but i have to disagree just get your chip redone to pull 2 degrees timing at wot and youll be fine.
Chech out the ZEX nitrous kit safest and easiest to install hands down.

I have a turbo regal nitrous kit if your interested.
Bottle
solenoids mounted on turbo regal uppipe
hose

You would need to supply board for bottle to mount, switches and wiring.

I forget how many nitrous jets i have, havent used it for years.

wanner@kc.rr.com
BW

Rosewood T-Type said:
Razors a smart guy but i have to disagree just get your chip redone to pull 2 degrees timing at wot and youll be fine.
If I choose to get a Nitrous kit I would probably use 35-50 Hp jet's.I have a TE-44 that spools ok but I would like something to help it in first gear on the street without racing it.I have thought maybe a Vig 3200 L/U would help the spool greatly.If I can't use 93 octane with a Nitrous kit then I just wouldn't buy one.Im a Turbo'd Nitrous guy who loves both power adder's.Would a 93 Chip thats has less timing be ok or a 91 Chip :confused: A guy told me one time along time ago about a Nitrous Turbo Regal that blew right off the line at the track.My problem would be adjusting the boost.I had a powervalve inside the car that worked great to increase and decrease the boost by turning the knob.I changed thr Turbo and bought the TE-44 and it doesn't work at all for that Turbo.I have a racegate underneath the car and i guess that's the only way i can adjust the boost.I guess I have to get a THDP soon.

The TE-44 turbo should spool almost instantly. Your tune-up is probably off a bit if the spool-up is slow. Have you checked the Racegate valve for leakage? I just replaced my Deltagate because it wouldn't seal, and leaked BAD! If you have a Racegate in the cross-over pipe, the pipe cracks easily around the welds. What have you done with the stock wastegate 'flapper'? If the flapper isn't held closed with a STRONG spring or an adjustable actuator, then it'll leak and cause slow boost. Was the turbo purchased new or used? If the wastegate port was opened up for a THDP, the the stock flapper on the stock elbow will NOT cover the whole port opening and cause real slow boost curve. The adjustable air regulator for boost control works, but they will cause a slow boost curve because the wastegate will start opening around 10-12 psi (sometimes sooner depending on spring pressure in the wastegate) They work off of pressure differential (deltaP) and start passing air early, causing the wastegate to start moving very early. An electronic 'gate controller will keep the 'gate closed usually untill you reach 80% of target boost. Just some things to think about. :)

turbofabricator said:
The TE-44 turbo should spool almost instantly. Your tune-up is probably off a bit if the spool-up is slow. Have you checked the Racegate valve for leakage? I just replaced my Deltagate because it wouldn't seal, and leaked BAD! If you have a Racegate in the cross-over pipe, the pipe cracks easily around the welds. What have you done with the stock wastegate 'flapper'? If the flapper isn't held closed with a STRONG spring or an adjustable actuator, then it'll leak and cause slow boost. Was the turbo purchased new or used? If the wastegate port was opened up for a THDP, the the stock flapper on the stock elbow will NOT cover the whole port opening and cause real slow boost curve. The adjustable air regulator for boost control works, but they will cause a slow boost curve because the wastegate will start opening around 10-12 psi (sometimes sooner depending on spring pressure in the wastegate) They work off of pressure differential (deltaP) and start passing air early, causing the wastegate to start moving very early. An electronic 'gate controller will keep the 'gate closed usually untill you reach 80% of target boost. Just some things to think about. :)
I have not done anything with the stock wastegate flapper.I use to have a 60-1 turbo with no rod to adjust the boost.I could only adjust it from the Racegate and from the manual knob inside the car.I have been told that because the exhaust is further away from the turbo it would cause Lag and that i should get a Terry Houston downpipe.If I had a Terry Houston pipe with the stock type of actuator then my car would spool way better but im not sure about that.I don't feel no leaks around the Racegate.The TE-44 Turbo was bought new from precision.I can't adjust the boost now when I switched to the 60-1 to theTE-44 turbo.Boost goes no further then 18Lbs at full throttle though.There has to be a difference between the 60-1 and TE-44 Turbo or my manual boost controller is fouled up.I think its an old style type setup.I don't want to waste money if the terry Houston pipe doesn't solve my problem.I just don't have instant spoolup(Boost) or the power unless i powerbrake it from a stop.Its still fun to drive though. :rolleyes:

Rosewood T-Type said:
True if good gas was being used.

In this case he's using pump gas and questionable boost control=kaboom if it overboosts and leans out.

I said "IF" ;)

Razor said:
True if good gas was being used.

In this case he's using pump gas and questionable boost control=kaboom if it overboosts and leans out.

I said "IF" ;)
WELL IF 93 OCTANE IS NOT ENOUGH FOR A 35-50 SHOT WITH 2-4 DEGREE'S OF TIMING PULLED THEN i WOULDN'T CONSIDER A NITROUS KIT AT ALL.I KNOW NITROUS IS NOT POPULAR FOR US TURBO GUYS.MAYBE TO MANY GUYS HAVE GONE KABOOM WITH THEM NOS KITS.NEVERTHELESS IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO TRY IT OUT WITH A SAFE TUNE. :eek:

I can't even get my NOS system tuned on my Big Block Chevy.The first time I used it,it worked incredible but the car was running so horribly rich,plugs fouled,barely idled,timing at a low 10 degree's.That was some quick ride in 3rd and 4th gear.Got the Carb sent out and since that the Nitrous system never worked good again,till this day.I had to be running lean I guess.I guess running even richer in a Buick turbo would be needed :confused:

The thing is you think that all stays the same. Boost and air fuel ratio get impacted.. especially with spray.. my car would jump from 20 PSI to 25 PSI on a 35 shot.

So if your boost jumped from 16 to 20.. would you have enough octane to support the increase.. and if you dont jet the fuel properly, you'll go lean.. and insufficient octane hurt the engine.

If you want to play with pump gas.. put alcohol injection. It allows you to run higher boost and dumbs down the process.

If you can really tune.. have great control over boost.. and have good gas.. cant beat nitrous..

HTH

Well the boost in my car stays at 18 at full throttle and i can't adjust unless I craw underneath the car to turn the screw on the Racegate.My setup sucks.Im very conservative when tuning my car.I think the O2 volts are around 830 on the Scanmaster.I guess to stay safe with a 35 shot I might want to run 13lbs Boost at least from your expierence with NOS.I would like to make sure my engine stays safe since I don't race it and don't plan top break it.Would i still need a different chip or just try keeping it running a bit rich??

Your sig says never raced yet.. and your wanting to experiment with nitrous.

Good Luck. And if you do decide.. better have 110 minimum in the tank.

Razor said:
Your sig says never raced yet.. and your wanting to experiment with nitrous.

Good Luck. And if you do decide.. better have 110 minimum in the tank.

I agree with Razor,listen to him he has done some awesome things and has gone places most are afraid to try ( myself included) and he knows a thing or two about using nitrous on these cars.Thats a fact. :cool:

I like to give him a hard time,but he is a cool guy and would not steer you wrong.

I guess Razor knows a whole lot more about Nitrous on Turbo regals.I'll take his advice about it.I think I have changed my mine completely on the Nitrous Kit.I'll just keep it on my Big Block gas guzzling car which I never drive. :( Maybe a aftermarket Stall Converter(maybe a 3200 L/U) would be just as fun on the street.Alky maybe, but not Nitrous. :cool:

If you bump your boost from 16 to 23 its like having a 75-100 shot all the time.

This boost is a piece of cake with alcohol injection. And way cheaper than filling bottles.

This is why alky is so popular.. HTH