Thinking about a S10 digital dash swap. What do I need for Speedo and tach?

You sound like you're good with electronic... Isn't it the 555 IC that can make some sort of pulse doubler?

Adding two more windows to the stock VSS looks like the way to fly. Only problem is the ECM will think you're going twice as fast.

TCC lock up will happen just a smidgen too early. :)

Adding two more windows to the stock VSS looks like the way to fly. Only problem is the ECM will think you're going twice as fast.

TCC lock up will happen just a smidgen too early. :)

What he did was keep the stock 2 window and make a 4 window on the other side and mount a second eye there. Interesting concept and that is something I can do, but I'm kind of thinking to see if I can get a sensor that plugs directly to the trans, wire it in the cab, and get a box that will buffer for the 2000 and 4000 pulse signals. Dakota dash has one. Sure it will set me back some money, but I verified with the digital dash that my speedo cable is bad anyway (the digital speedo was bouncing around just like my OEM one) so I can use that money elsewhere. I'm either going this route or putting in a full set of Autometer gauges in down the road so I'll see this signal generator anyway.

Wow. I LOVE this board. Great find!

So it looks like I need to get my butt back out to the junkyard and find:

-Oil Pressure Sender off the donor Blazer
-Coolant Temp sensor off the donor Blazer
-Yellow VSS 4-out Buffer box from a Grand Am or Firebird Pre-1990
-VSS pickup for the 2004r from a TTA, (older 125-C and 440T4 units will work but needs to be notched to sit into the trans further)

So on the VSS pickup I did a cross reference on the part number that the parts stores sell and it seems to be the same one that is used in the 700R4's in the 3rd gen Firebirds. Maybe the aftermarket one is universal. If anything I'll get a junkyard one and just notch it. If I get the one off the same Firebird as the VSS buffer I know it will work.

Turbo1dr. Solved some of these issues when he installed a park ave cluster in his car...

Do a search on it and he shows how to modify the speed head and make the vss read correctly..

Thanks! That thread is linked earlier in this thread. It is an option, but now that I know that some older Pontiacs have a dual feed VSS buffer (2000 and 4000) that seems like the easy solution. Plus if I can grab a speed sensor that plugs right into the trans it saves me the work of making a cable driven home made VSS.

Thanks! That thread is linked earlier in this thread. It is an option, but now that I know that some older Pontiacs have a dual feed VSS buffer (2000 and 4000) that seems like the easy solution. Plus if I can grab a speed sensor that plugs right into the trans it saves me the work of making a cable driven home made VSS.

Well the turbo trans am have a electronic speed sensor for the 200 trans ...

So on the VSS pickup I did a cross reference on the part number that the parts stores sell and it seems to be the same one that is used in the 700R4's in the 3rd gen Firebirds.

The VSS for a 700R4 will not work in a 200-4R. Way too different.

The 4-out buffer box can be found in TBI Camaro's from '90 - '92. TBI Firebirds from '88 - '92, and MAF/TPI Firebirds from '87 through '89. Also used in some Caprice's (usually a white box in this case). Note that these buffer boxes have on a paper label '4 OUT BUFFER', so easy to verify.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The VSS for a 700R4 will not work in a 200-4R. Way too different.

The 4-out buffer box can be found in TBI Camaro's from '90 - '92. TBI Firebirds from '88 - '92, and MAF/TPI Firebirds from '87 through '89. Also used in some Caprice's (usually a white box in this case). Note that these buffer boxes have on a paper label '4 OUT BUFFER', so easy to verify.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks! I went to 3 different junk yards yesterday and not one of the F bodies mentioned. I did find a '92 Caprice and did not see any box. I wasn't looking for a white one, but this Caprice had an LT1 in it, so I'm guessing that I would have only found it in a 305 TBI car. I did grab a speedo out of a '85 Camaro with the VSS buffer and the optical sensor on it for $8. I can always use the guts to make a dual sensor like mentioned earlier in this thread.

I got the oil pressure and water temp sensors off the donor car. I did find 3 Vortec S10's in the yards. 2 once had digital dashes that were already plucked.

I got home and checked CL. Found a guy with a wrecked '92 Camaro RS 305 TBI. He pulled the buffer for me and I'll grab it from him. His is white and does not have the sticker, but by looking at the pic he sent it is the correct one. I'm guessing the original one was replaced at one point. I guess I can hit up the local auto parts store and see if they can get me the trans speed sensor off a TTA.

Came across this pic, would make a really cool looking swap.. 1988 Beretta v6 dash, has all the gauges in the cluster.

Attachments

• 00I0I_cXm0MEEnfxz_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_cXm0MEEnfxz_600x450.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 177
Unfortunately I have not done anything yet. I do have everything I need. I got a spare dash bezel to chop up, the correct sensors, and plan to use a combination of the '85 Camaro speedo guts with optical sensor and '92 Camaro dual buffer that I got to send the 2 pulse signal to the ECM and 4 pulse to the new speedo. Not sure when I will get back into this as I have been consumed project wise and work has kept me busy.