Thinking about a roll cage will it hurt price of the car

boost86

Well I am at the point where if I want to run it at the track I have to have a roll cage. What I am wanting to know if a roll cage is installed does it hurt the selling price of the car? Also if anyone has a cage in there car did you build it or buy a kit from jegs or somewhere let me know.

This is where the value of the car as a "street car" is destroyed. A cage is required and expected in a race car and is part of the overall value. The $$ you spend on a cage, I would not expect a return on. You might want to consider selling the car as a street car and buy a built roller for racing.

Just a thought.

If you don't plan on getting rid of the car, just do the cage. I bought mine with a 6pt cage already in it, basically returned to stock as far as engine/trans. Now I'm taking on the task of making the cage necessary :biggrin:

I'm gonna be in the same position here very shortly. Once all the new parts go on, car should easily run in the 11's, so a roll bar is gonna be needed if I want to continue playing at the track. There's a few 1/8 mile tracks where I could get away with no bar, but those aren't as fun as full 1/4 mile blasts... :biggrin: . Dunno what to decide really......I enjoy driving the car, but also enjoy going to the track occasionally. Decisions, decisions.

That is were I am at love going to the track and also like driving on the street. But I dont want the cage to hurt the selling price of the car if I do decide to sell the brick.

If you do put the cage in the car, the resale will go straight to pot. I can guarantee you that. I would not do it. Just my 2.

vicious6 is correct about the value, BUT if it's done correctly the cage can be removed, floor can be repaired, & the valance @ the back window can be replaced. but it would be a lot of work. I don't know what you have for a car, but IMHO if your car is only truly worth about $8,000 I would say put the cage in it. but if you have a low mile car I would say you would need your head examined. :D

When I was looking for a GN, I COMPLETELY discounted cars that were modified. This was just me but the point is when a car is modified you eliminate a portion of the buying market. We can say that about many model of desirable cars

cage

Why not just get someone to fix a cage for your car thats bolts in. They prob will not even look to see if it was welded in. They are an pic of one on my cardomain site.

Next GN I buy will be modified. I'll let the next guy spend all the money. :p

If you're worried about keeping the value of the car and not losing money then you shouldn't modify it in the first place. Though, it will hurt your selling market it won't eliminate all buyers.

bishir said:
Next GN I buy will be modified. I'll let the next guy spend all the money. :p

If you're worried about keeping the value of the car and not losing money then you shouldn't modify it in the first place. Though, it will hurt your selling market it won't eliminate all buyers.

right

the mod market

the original (or near orginal) market........the likelyhood one would consider the other is slim

FWIW & IMHO:
I would not cage a nice street car, especially a turbo Buick.
I would much rather have a nice street non-caged turbo Buick than a legal caged track turbo Buick.

The question is how modified is the car already? If heavily modified then cage it, if its close to stock and could be put back to stock easily then dont (especially if it has low mileage). JMO

Well the car as 120,xxx on the body and 8,xxx and the rebuild. Car is nowhere near stock besides the bottom end and thats freshened up.

I would have no heartache over caging a car with that kind on mileage on it, if that's what you want to do.