think you don't need rental car isurance.......think again

no-nos

this happened this morning at 4am, while we were heading for a funeral, just 3 miles out of alligator alley,
I had a collision with what collier county sheriff called a 3 to 400 lb deer, I was driving a 2013 chevy spark
doing 70 mph, when the wife screams DEER! , I only had time to move the wheel ever so slightly to the left to try to avoid it, but I could not. The sheriff told me, " your lucky you managed to turn the wheel , had he hit the windshield at 70 mph, you both could have been very easily killed., that little turn of the wheel let him make impact with the front side of the car. It was a hell of night, we both walked away with minor injuries, compared to what it could have been. after the aftermath I was so glad that I purchased the insurance they provide,
the car rental was only $13, a day but the insurance was $19 a day, but man was it well worth it! the car rental agency treated us great, first class all the way. the company is called FOX car rental, guys great service all around.( I hope the moderators don't mind me giving them a some well deserved recognition. ) I don't have pic's of the deer but this little chevy spark, performed GREAT! all air-bags deployed perfectly, side curtain, seats, front. great little car. I felt bad for the deer but the sheriff told me better him than two dead bodies.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 250
Thank God you did not get hurt. I opted out of the insurance myself. Big mistake! I had a rental that I drove down to Florida for the street car shootout.It was a 2009 sebring with 4000 miles on it. I was helping some friends with their car. Well on the way back I was driving On I80 and a cardboard box rolled in front of the car well there must have been an anvil in it because it torn the front bumper off and took out radiator and condenser and it busted the trans. I bought a bumper cover and jb welded the rad and the trans housing and dropped off car. cost me 400 for the repair. To fix it right it would have been probably 3k

Glad you're both okay.

There are dozens of them up here in North Florida on the shoulder of the roads at night. See them all over when we come home from horse riding events late at night, so far so good. Last night at midnight coming home from Lake Butler with the horses in the trailer one was right at the edge of the road and then bolted for the trees at the last second. With horses in the trailer I would not be able to make any evasive moves and would just have to hit it. I had to run over a beautiful hound one evening as he ran from the tall grass across the road. Very narrow two lane with no shoulder just grassy ditch on either side so there was just no way to avoid him and not chance slamming the horses around or jacking the trailer. Unfortunately the trailer has only about 6" of clearance so he was rolled along under it poor thing.

Mikey

Glad the both of you are ok. Could have been a lot worse in the little car vs that monster.

Ive heard ur everyday "daily driver" car insurance covers anything ur driving... including rentals. So I never get the extra insurance.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ive heard ur everyday "daily driver" car insurance covers anything ur driving... including rentals. So I never get the extra insurance.

They are all different. Mine covers any rental, but check yours out before to make sure.
Deer's are rampant down here, but rule of thumb around here is never turn the wheel. Smoke em and hit the brake seems to be the safest route.
Glad it worked out and all is well.

Yes if you hit the deer it is a comprehensive claim and won't affect your rates. If you swerve and miss the deer but you crash it is a collision claim and will affect your rates. Of course if you hit the deer you have to worry about it coming through the windshield and injurying or killing you and your passengers

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

only an extra 25$ a year on my policy for this, worth it too.

thanks guys, I almost made the mistake of buying the insurance they offered on line it was inexpensive $11 bucks
little did I know that, that insurance is provided by a company on-line not the rental car agency. best $19 bucks, I ever spent.