Things you're looking for when buying a TR.

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
Note: I know there is a buyers guide however I wanted to get an idea of what current buyers are looking for.

The reason I am asking this question is that I have a car that's been for sale for a while. It's a clean, solid car with no real issues to speak of. I've gotten plenty of tire kickers and picture collectors as well as a few "almost there offers" but still no sale. I feel that I have priced it competitively and maybe a bit low in light of the current market upswing.

After talking with someone yesterday, I got to thinking about the issue.... Besides price and the general desireables (e.g. G80, clean title, no t-tops, right color combo, lower miles etc.) what else are buyers looking for?

For example if a car had a fresh trans would that be a deal maker for you?

What about a new paint job or new interior?

Just trying to get an idea of what is more important to TR buyers these days.

Feel free to post your personal preferences or ideas you may have on this issue.

To me a new paint job on a car that is for sale seems like something is getting covered up. Unless there are tons of pictures of the paint process I wouldn't feel comfortable with the paint job.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Now having owned all original paint Turbo Buicks, I would rank a PROPERLY done paint job high on my list of personal preferences. Reason is, a quality paint job (emphasis on quality) costs at least 8 - 10k depending on where you live and what connections you have. Maybe even more. No way you can recoup that when you sell. This adds value to the buyer. For some, the cost to repaint your car might be the single biggest expense depending on how crazy you get with mods. A properly done repaint with lots of photos documenting the process is key and adds value, imo. Unless we are talking an ultra low mile original car...

On the built trans question, that is a definite yes for me but my reasoning is more geographical than anything. I don't live in the continental U.S. so for me to ship a trans to and/or from any of the well known 200R4 builders is quite expensive. If I were to ever buy another TB it would be a prerequisite. I don't know if someone who already lives in the continental U.S. would feel the same though...

I should add that I'll be doing my own paint. That probably makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I just replied to your for sale listing before seeing this, hope you don't mind me butting in. I bought my first GN poorly but really I will just look for everything you mentioned...

Paint is expensive these days. Having a decent paint job is a huge + to me. My car was repainted by the previous owner and had primer overspray everywhere and metallic flake added to the black...I hated it but bought the car thinking I would repaint it down the road and that was just a bad idea.

The G80 code like you mentioned

I do agree a transmission that has been rebuilt/beefed up with receipts proving all work done is a plus...but I wouldn't do it to your car. Let someone else mess with it IMO.

Receipts Receipts Receipts...Talk is cheap, show me the paperwork.

My next car will have everything that should work from the factory, work currently. I spent a lot of time repairing the little things like dummy lights, brake lights, ignition that wont turn unless a key is inserted (seriously my car would start without a key). so I will spend more time looking at the little things.

Interior is COMPLETE and clean. I can do magic to an interior with some elbow grease but a lot of the parts get expensive fast...think console and factory shifter assembly. IMO a clean interior is more important than exterior. The outside is for everyone else...the inside is what you will be seeing most of the time.

Any car, (not just a turbo regal) that is for sale and "just needs a tune" never ever in my experience has just needed a tune. Just throws up more red flags for me than it used to.

Honestly man I think your car is super duper nice and I hope you are able to sell it at a price you are happy with. To me though, I would not put any more money in it and try to keep the cost as reasonably low as possible. The market for these cars has always been small compared to say...first gen Camaros or a 70-71 Cuda etc and not many people have that much cash for a toy. I had a few "ill take it" buyers that I cut a deal with from this forum that just disappeared when it was time to head this way. Its frustrating for sure but be patient and it will sell eventually.

Thanks to all who took time to answer. It is appreciated.
I noticed lots of "views" but very few responses. Is everyone else in agreement with the above statements?

After going through a few full paints and a frame off restoration, I think I tend to agree with some of the sentiments above. A paint job is very expensive. A really good one will cost you some body parts~! :eek:

I wish I had the patience and talent for bodywork, fab, and paint.

Gonna sound petty but anything over a 2800 stall looses my interest, for me It starts to put the car into money pit territory with all the other parts that required a high stall..

History. Knowing who, what, and why things were done to the car such why you changed out the power master for a hydro-boost or what the box on the fender saying "Translator" is for. (Was it done just for performance or was it because you can't get the part anymore or does it just make the car more reliable, etc.) I know as a buyer I should be familiar enough with what I'm buying to know at least the basics but showing that you know what you (or your builder) are doing is important. It gives a sense of what the car has been through and gives a hint about how well you knew and cared for it. I think I trust someone more that has a history with the car than somebody who bought the car just to flip it. Also, there are not many perfect cars out there so if you are up front about the car's issues I feel better about it.

Honestly, as bizarre as it sounds, I have had little luck selling anything TR related on this forum, but the stuff I sell I've always sold on either eBay or craigslist or by word of mouth 100% of the time for the prices I want. So I would try other outlets as I'm sure you'll have better luck there. Just to give you a good example, I had a mint condition authentic Molly GNX Jacket for sale that I posted here for sale. A very rare and desirable item for any GNX owner that doesn't have one as we all know. I had it reasonably priced and had little to no interest on here. I put that thing on Ebay and it sold within two days, and for $300 more bucks then what I had listed on the forum for, go figure. :rolleyes:

Venus: I tried on ebay a while back but there were a bunch of very cheaply priced regals that pushed my car to the higher end. I avoid craigslist for selling buicks because I don't need all the local idiots knowing where my cars are located. I do, however, understand what you're saying. Seems like ebay is best for parts and cars. I may have to post there again.

Corsair231: I think I'm in the same boat with most cars in general. I was looking for a cheap honda beater a few years ago and if I saw multi-color interior, exterior, Cheap cold air kits and other such "mods" I immediately passed and went on looking. I think the same goes for the turbo buicks. If the seller doesn't know what they have, how can you be sure of what you're buying?

deezdad: 2800 stall doesn't seem that extreme to me. If it were in the 3500 range, I'd be worried. Still, if you get the feeling a car is going to turn into a money pit, we all have our preferences...

So, anyone else have some preferences when they are shopping for a TR?

man you need to have the car on craigslist. Just communicate well with the potential buyers and if you get bad vibes don't give out your address...and never give out your address until said buyers are litteraly about to hit the road and head your way. 100% of people looking for a turbo regal scan craigslist...far far less look on ebay and even fewer will look on forums like this.

When I first listed my car I thought...yea my car is hurt, but if anyone is going to buy it its going to be one of the smart cats on TB.com that can fix it in a weekend or less...hell no haha. bunch of tire kickin time wasters. Finally a guy started calling me from my craigslist ad. he didn't know much about the cars just wanted one since high school. Drove 3 hours and brought cash...went home with a smile and a buick.

I understand the fear of theft, but if you want to sell something you have to let people know it is for sale :cool:

Opinions will always vary ,so here is mine. Keep in mind I haven’t looked at your ad, I am not in the market and I don’t want to ‘nit pick’ a persons car. That tends to happen some times in the for sale forums.

When I was looking for mine, if a car had ‘new paint’ I became exceptionally critical of the body. Honestly I couldn’t tell a good paint job from a bad one, well maybe if it was ‘obvious’ I could. My first question in those cases would be to ask when it was painted. If it was anytime in the last year, honestly, I would walk away. From what I have seen most cars look fantastic that first year they were painted. It is in the subsequent years that the quality, or lack thereof starts to show. In my eyes if it was a quality paint job, it would take either a lot of money or a LOT of labor to do it right. I know everyone is different, but unless the person fell on financial hardship, I cant see why anyone would dump and run so quickly after getting it looking great with a new paint job. Since anyone could tell a hard luck story, I just walked away. (that is just me though every case is different).

The second thing I would look for is the attention to detail on the body. Why would someone put the capital toward a quality paint job only to skimp on the details. I would want excellent condition bumper fillers, head and tail light plastics, and emblems (if present) in excellent condition AND properly placed. It drives me NUTZ when I see emblems on new paint in installed in the WAY wrong locations. Again, it is a petty thing to worry about since they could be easily relocated, but it say to me that details were NOT being paid attention to with the body work. If they weren't doing that, i didnt want to find out what other details were overlooked.

In terms of engine mods, I wanted at least a 2 years of mileage from the last upgrade. Sometimes that isn't always possible, but I didn’t want to buy someone else's Frankenstein. I wanted reliability. Much like the paint, I walked away from any car that was being sold as ‘brand new build’. I couldn’t see why someone would build the engine with quality parts, costing lost of money, only to ditch it once they got it dialed in.

If the car did have significant mods, I wanted documentation of parts, and a reference of who installed it. If it was self-installed, I wanted an engine compartment that was clean, organized and to be free of any leaks. I was looking for attention to detail and signs of a quality technician. It was a red flag to me when someone said they rebuilt the motor, but couldn’t get the valve cover to stop leaking so they just lived with it. I was in the market for a car to maintain, not to repair and sort out. (Everyone is different in what they are shopping for).

I also wanted all factory options to work. Power Windows, locks, wipers etc. The only one I was flexible on was the power radio antenna. The exception to all of the above would be Unless the car was from a reputable Turbo Buick soothsayer. Some of the guys on here flip cars and stand behind their work once they get a car dialed in.

In terms of price, it had to make sense. If a guy said he did the paint for 12k, the engine for 30k, but was selling it for 10k. I walked away. If the guy wanted something outrageous, I didn’t even call on the car. I also refused to buy from a dealer. Most importantly, I have to get teh warm and fuzzies about the owner. I needed to believe he was honest, and that there weren't any inconsistencies in what her was telling me.

The market has dictated that GN’s always command more than an equivalent condition T-Type. People pay more to be blacked out. So the issue may not necessarily be with your car, but rather with what else is out there. If you have a car you want 20k for, check the listings what else is in that range. If they are are cars in that range, how do they compare to yours? Are cars actually selling at that price or are they constantly re-listed? At the end of the day, only you know what you are willing to ‘let your car go for’. If you are patient, and it is priced right and a good car, it will sell. We are coming up to the warmer weather, so this is typically when the market picks up.

Good Luck with your Sale!

zhorner: Excellent point. I've sold a few cars on CL but I always got lots of dreamers and crazies. And with the Buick I'm not interested in joy rides and wasting time. I want the car to go to an enthusiast that hopefully has an idea of what they're buying. Not a new owner per se but rather a new steward.

dialtone76: I think we're on the same page. Lots of things you mentioned send up red flags for me as well.

Most importantly, I have to get teh warm and fuzzies about the owner. I needed to believe he was honest, and that there weren't any inconsistencies in what her was telling me.

All good points being made and for the most part focused on the car itself. As Dialtone76 touched upon, evaluating the seller is equally important as the car in my book. All my transactions are long distance sight unseen, except for photos of course. Many frown upon this practice but until you've lived thousands of miles across the ocean, on an island, you have no clue. Lol. So for me evaluating the seller, in addition to the car, becomes even more important. If I don't get a good feel about the seller, I walk. If a guy starts getting irritated with all of my questioning, I walk. Any hint of dishonesty or inconsistency in his story, I walk. Can't be bothered with taking requested photos of the car, you get the picture... Most of us has that little voice inside our head that alerts you went something doesn't feel right.

I've walked away from plenty of nice cars over the years for the reasons mentioned and then some. Did I miss out on some good cars? Who knows, I don't lose any sleep over them. But I've been more than satisfied with the ones I actually purchased. :)