These cars sure love to try our patience

Berman

Ok. So I was having crazy electrical problems. Or so I thought. My wiring was all hacked up (i wish I had a pic of how it looked. hideous, tons of wires going everywhere with weird connectors, just whacky). So I bought a new Casper's complete engine wiring harness and injector harness.

Ok. So my mechanic put it in the car. Well guess what. Casper left out a freakin wire. The car wouldn't start, the injectors weren't pulsing. My mechanic called him, and he was like "check this wire". It didn't exist. So he ran the wire and bam, the car started up.

With the same problems it had. So he hooked up the scan tool (I wish he had done this first :mad:) and low and behold, my MAF is bad. Bought a new maf, problems are fixed.

The car is ripping. After being so pissed I bought a new wiring harness for basically no reason, then paid $250 for a maf, the car is running great. On the way home, I killed a WS6 that wanted to play :D

Argh. Man do these cars love to test our patience (and money). Argh. My TA has given me 0 problems, other than leaky t-tops and a power window that doesn't like working. The GN.. oh god. I don't even want to think about the parts I've bought I didn't need. Coil pack, ignition module, computer, wiring harness, crank sensor. You name it, I bought it. At least now I'm done with all that crap. Oh yeah so now my tranny is slipping :mad:

So moral of the story here is if your car is having whacky driveability problems, won't idle, 'cuts out', etc. Try a new MAF.

I'm going through the new MAF thing as we speak. Just glad the stock one didn't decide to crap out on me during my 2400 mile drive home with the new car.

Peter

Originally posted by Berman
My TA has given me 0 problems, other than leaky t-tops and a power window that doesn't like working.
Well if you think about it, your TA is a 2000 model. Almost new. And the t-tops already leak, and the power window is already messing up? That's scary. You could expect that kinda stuff from a 16year old car, but not a 2000. I've been in search of a 6-spd LS1 for a short time now, I hope they all aren't like that.

So moral of the story here is if your car is having whacky driveability problems, won't idle, 'cuts out', etc. Try a new MAF.

Or... Go Slow, Diagnose Problems, and dont throw parts at them.

:D

Originally posted by Berman
Man do these cars love to test our patience (and money).

I'll second that.

Every problem seems to have at least 5 possible causes, and it's always the 5th thing you replace that proves to be the fix. Vacuum leaks and wiring are a constant concern and of course the ongoing rear main leak.

But if you stay with it, and get it right, nothing will reward you at the track like a TR. Drive it to the track, run some 11's and then drive it home. Beat up on some trailered big blocks while you are there.

I am convinced that a 86-87 TR is the best 1/4 mile performing hunk of iron to ever come from Detroit.

I think every TR owner should have a standard kit of extra parts:

1. O2 Sensor
2. MAF sensor
3. Coilpack/module
4. Cam sensor
5. Crank sensor

Anything else? Headgaskets?:D

Keep them all in a little box in the trunk along with the tools necessary to change them so you don't get stranded.

Re: Re: These cars sure love to try our patience

Originally posted by BlackBeauty

I've been in search of a 6-spd LS1 for a short time now, I hope they all aren't like that.

They are.