Thermo Tech Heat Wrap

turbojitsu85

For any one that has wrapped there up and down pipe have you noticed a significant drop in temp under the hood. My car seems to run hot go figure. I've been thinking lof doing this for a long time.

I think Jerryl has helped you here. Jet hot now has a coating that is supposed to withstand the temps our up and down pipes reach without flaking off, might cost more then tape but I think the post says it all. I like the look of the coating on the pipes I also did my headers.

I did the header wrap thing for awhile on uppipe and upper portion of DP. Worked as far as lowering engine compartment temps but I didnt like it on the whole. It started looking like crap, especially after working around it and accidently tearing or fraying it ever so often (try doing plugs a couple times). After redoing it a second or third time with what was left from the original roll I just removed it. That crap is expensive too :eek:

I do believe in the benefit so I think I also need to be heading the coating direction. If anyone has any idea on pricing they know about please share.

Do some internet searches. I'm trying to remember the place we used but it's been a couple years ago now. It's not cheap but it does hold up and with some high temp vht you can pretty much change the color it it's not to your liking.

When you did the wrap 6SENSE did you spary the sealant on it afterwords. And if you did useit did it start to smoke when you drove the car because it did for me :confused: I don't know if I spayed to much sealant on it and it's just burning off or if the upipe is overheating and now I'm ****ed :mad:

Didnt know about any spray sealant. Id imagine it would definately smoke and produce an odor if a spray sealant was used. Even without the sealant you can smell the material heating up, but the smell goes away after awhile. So, Id assume it is normal? I doubt the uppipe is burning. You could ask whoever you bought the stuff from.

I wrapped my header's 5yr's ago even though some people said they would hold moistue and rust . The engine compatment seem's a little cooler and I have had them off to replace exhaust gasket's and they seem solid to me. Hal

The wrap works much, much better than the coatings. I have mine coated more for rust proofing than anything. With the aftermarket uppipe and the coating, I was going through an alternator a month. I wrapped the uppipe and downpipe and no longer went through alternators. The underhood heat was signifigantly lower. I had no smell or smoke. I didn't use sealers. My downpipe has been wrapped for years and still looks fine. My uppipe went two years with the wrap with no problems but I had to replace it and haven't gotten around to wrapping the new one yet. I can literally start the car with the hood up and hold my hand on the uppipe as long as I want to. As for the coatings, I have never had it flake off the uppipe or downpipe. Headers, yes. I'm going to wrap the crossover also when I re-wrap the uppipe. The more heat you can keep in, potentially the faster the turbo will spool.

What cool said about the alternators is a concern. I do remember that is one of the reasons that I used the wrap in the first place. I think part of my problem was all the darn tinkering I was doing (fighting exhaust leaks for one :mad: ) and removing the uppipe/dp as much as I did and consequently damaging the wrap.