theft deterrent ideas?

hesermon

Other than the obvious, (stated value insurance and a good alarm) what have some of you guys come with to help keep your TR YOUR TR? I'm thinking of putting a keyed switch in-line on the wire that runs from the ECM to the battery. If the keyed switch is well hidden inside the car it would be easy to able/ disable the ignition if you had the key and knew where to find the switch. With it disabled the car would not start or run, like all deterrents it would not prevent, just discourage a would be thief. I lost one 6 years ago and don't want to go through that again. Any thoughts or ideas?

steel tubing bent u shape into concrete. tie 5/8" diameter chain link around rear axle, chassis, etc. problem solved:biggrin:. NO ONE IS STEALING MY CAR

if you reset the ecm youll have to relearn the blm

plenty of other ways to keep it from running without cutting power to the ecm
interrupt cam sensor or tps and it wont be starting ,

I have a LoJack system in my cruiser at work and I can tell you we recover like 95% of the ones that go off.

I'm seriously thinken about putten it in my own car along with a Ravelco unit. Google Ravelco. They have installers that will come out to ur house. 99% of the theives will not beable to defeat a Ravelco. I guess you would have to check if they are available in ur area tho.

Theft deterrent

I had my first T Type stolen after a week:mad:. I've got Galtrac on this car. Great system. GPS tracking, geofence with phone notification if it breaks the 100 yard perimeter,ignition interrupt from computer or phone, fuel pump disable and starter disable. Costs $25/month.:cool:

I had my first T Type stolen after a week:mad:. I've got Galtrac on this car. Great system. GPS tracking, geofence with phone notification if it breaks the 100 yard perimeter,ignition interrupt from computer or phone, fuel pump disable and starter disable. Costs $25/month.:cool:
I have entertained a GPS unit as well as an added secuity but due to their microwave signal vs. radio ur fuked if ur car is placed in a metal trailer and hauled off. Pretty unlikely tho I guess.

Yeah that's right Brett. I had it in a storage shed with the geofence set but I couldn't "ping" the car and get a response. But it calls with in 30 seconds when I break the geofence. Can be tracked realtime on googlemap and if it was some dipchit who had it when the geofence call comes in you can disable the ignition from the phone stopping the car. Not a slowdown then stop like Northstar but it does the trick. I've demo it to some other buick guys here in PB and did it from the phone. I'd prefer the rottweiler sleep in the car technique:biggrin:

When at home its in the garage so home alarm will go off at work its in a fenced in area I try not to leave it any ware else . Any thing that kills the power I had a car almost get stolen and the dumb theives didnt relize there was no battery in the car the made a mess of the dash wiring trying to hot wire it and it didnt have a battery the hole time.

They tried to steal my friends mustang out of his moms garage the broke into her car moved it out of the driveway broke into the garage busted the column but there was one thing that stopped them....There was no engine or trans on the car :biggrin:

The Clifford alarm system has a BlackJack system which has a 2 button pad that you program up to a six digit code. You program the system to go off at a desired RPM (in my case i set it at 1200rpm) once the car senses the predetermined rmp you have 20 seconds to put the code in, if not, the car just COMPLETELY shuts off. You could disconnect the alarm, reset the battery, rip out as many wires as you want and you WILL NOT be able to turn the car on unless you have that code. The cool thing is that even if the car has had the code put in, everything working fine driving hanging out, if you open any door, the trunk or the hood, you have to put in the code again. I got carjacked once in Miami with my firs GN and thanks to the clifford all i had to do was be calm and wait because i know that within 20 seconds the car was going to be shut off in the middle of the road.

I have a LoJack system in my cruiser at work and I can tell you we recover like 95% of the ones that go off.

I'm seriously thinken about putten it in my own car along with a Ravelco unit. Google Ravelco. They have installers that will come out to ur house. 99% of the theives will not beable to defeat a Ravelco. I guess you would have to check if they are available in ur area tho.

X2!...I have a LoJack (Boomerang in Canada) on my '08 F350, along with a Ravelco anti-theft system...I also use some of those bars you lock onto the steering wheel and also one that goes to the brake pedal...

Claude. :wink:

link: Ravelco Anti Theft Device

i have two alarms but other than that i really dont go anywhere i cant see the car. ie: no taking it to the movies, or mall. and if we go to dinner with it i actually request to sit on that side of the restaurant so i can watch it out of the window.

If someone wants it bad enough, nothing will stop them. However....

* A column guard keeps the steering column from being cracked open.

* A keyed switch to the fuel pump relay keeps the fuel pump from activating, the car won't start.

* A hardened steel battery guard keeps theives from drilling into the battery to short out the alarm.

* Pager alarm lets you know AS a theft is being attempted right now.

* Never leaving the vehicle unattended or out of your sight helps greatly.

* Lojack will track the car if it is stolen.

* A mean and hungry Pit Bull in the back seat is an excellent deterrant. :D

I always liked "out of sight out of mind" Then again if somebody wants your car, they will wait until your alone turning the key in the door or whenever your not ready.

Think how they would, that is the best defense against anyone. Any theif pro or beginner knows Timing/planning is everything. Your not going to stay up watching your car. They willl scoop out your house for cameras or Dog,anything to help them. Think about what they would bypass or do to get the car going. Example, you could have nice alarm, it gets bypassed, you can have lojack, lets say they know where they install the locator for it(googled it) Why not unhook your TB cable each night(sucks I know) no theft will pop the hood and fix it. The best thing is a custom job done by you the owner. No one knowing your design, faimly or friend.

. The best thing is a custom job done by you the owner. No one knowing your design, family or friend.
That's what I was thinking on the keyed switch on the ECM (didn't think about it having to relearn each time) or on the cam sensor, fuel pump, etc. We all know that we own very desirable cars and that no one thing is going to stop someone that is determined but hopefully this thread has at least made a few people think about security. When my last GN was stolen out of a well lit, highly visible and camera recorded parking lot, I thought that my "top of the line" Viper with starter interrupt was actually going to keep my car safe. Now I plan to take every precaution I can to be able to actually enjoy my car on a sunny day and not be worried that I'm going to have to walk home if I stop at the local Walgreens for 5 minutes.

Anyone on here have a car with a hotwired fuel pump?......... thought so.:p

Hotwire kit has an inline fuse, right? Pull the fuse. Unless the creepfuk thief knows these cars in and out, he won't know where to look for the missing link in the fuel system circuit.

It's simple & effective IMO. Not gonna stop a hook & tow thief, but again, if the sons-a-bitches are desperate to get the car, nothing will.