The TTA's Replacement

I ran 13.4 in a 93 GSX with maybe $1200 in parts. 3" HRC Eliminator Jr dp, 3" cat, 3" Thermal cat-back, GReddy PRofec B, Brode UIC pipe/tb elbow at 67k miles on original clutch.

Added ACT 2600 clutch, Apex'i SAFC II, AMS injectors but never got to the track. Those 1G DSMs can bring the heat. 2Gs weren't as stout. My 95 GSX with 5x the mods as my 93 with perfect tuning is barely quicker.

AWD launches and shifts in my 93 GSX were awesome. The tailpipe would hit on the launch and 1-2 shift. On hard shifts, my wipers would turn on. At the top of first gear, all four street tires would break loose and even chirp into 2nd. I still wish my 95 GSX could do some of the things my 93 did. Oh, it was my dialy driver from 99-03, 67k miles to 123k miles. So much for being unreliable... and I BEAT on that car. Loved it.

Sorry to go OT, just showing some 4G63 love. The new EVO IX and MR are amazing cars. Especially the Euro EVO MR FQ400.

The 2g can be finicky for sure but I love mine. I have owned it since 2000.

I ran 13.2 with a ported 14b, 2.5 exhaust and a chip. This was at 14 psi so they can get going good. 1g's just seem to do it easier.

I have had a bad year of issue's with the car and finally when I got it done about 2 months ago I had the car idling in the drivewa and I actually hear the tick tick getting louder. Went out there to see my oil pressure dropping. I then hit the gas and it started the rod knock in a bad way.

Now it sits in the garage like a bad bitch. I have a stage 2 motor for it, but that will go in next year.

4g63 is a very strong motor. A good friend of mine with a 91 Talon made 585 awhp on his stock internal 6 bolt motor. Only thing in it was cams and valve springs. Of course this was on race gas around the 32 psi mark or so, still impressive none the less.

I Had A 2003 Mustang Cobra Sontic Blue Sold It In Feb 2006 I Raced A Sti Smoked It By 3 Cars Off The Jump Cost Me 33k And From What I Here Mits Are Slower I Raced A 2003 Mits Evo Killed By 4 Cars I Am Not A Import Fan But What Ever Spins You Around Brian Good Luck With The Car But I Will Smoke You With My 1987 Gn 11:87 In The Quarter Mile And You Were There ;)

the wrx sti is faster than that car for about the same money. those mitsu's are known for havin ignition/knock trouble even in bone stock form.

Wow, I've never heard of this knock issue and I spend a good bit of time on the evolutionm.net forums. BTW, an STI and EVO race is a driver's race in stock form. Put $500 or $1k in each, then the EVO wins hands down. Don't believe me, go to iclub forums and see how many people are running 11's or quicker in an STI (maybe 20 on that forum last time I checked) and then go look at the hundreds on the 11's and quicker list on evolutionm.net.
Both are great cars, but I chose the evo for a daily driver because of the ability to extract much more power for the dollar than the STI.

Oh, and you got me on the warranty issue, I knew going in that the Mitsu warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. No problem, because I never intended to stay stock and I bought my own 75k mile warranty that covers everything regardless of mods.

arguing with a DSM/mitsu guy is like tryin to explain to the 16 year old mustang kid why you're turbo v6 will smoke his stock fox body. laugh at his ignorant arse and leave it at that. oh and yes, manual shift 4cyl turbo drag races are very much driver's races, especially stock. and the knock issue was documented in car and driver (i think that's the right mag) in the extended test drive or whatever over 30,000 miles. it's also well known at a certain dyno shop. no i wont name it so that you may bash him. I'm done, you may now continue to flame.

it's also well known at a certain dyno shop. no i wont name it so that you may bash him. I'm done, you may now continue to flame.

I have nothing vested in either side of this debate, but I have to laugh at the stupidity of your last comments.

Basically they read: I'm making a claim. I will not back up my claim. I'm quitting the debate. I win by default.

FWIW, a quick Google search netted nothing even remotely related to a known, or widely know detonation problem with the Mitsubishi Evolution.:confused:

I have owned almost every car know to man and have friends rich enough to let me drive everything else. All I can say is drive an EVO, there is nothing else on the planet that even comes close to the experience. These cars are a well-balanced machine. Believe me I've had my Grand National at 140mph and had to hit the breaks, not a very pleasant experience. Even my Turbo Trans Am's cannot out handle a well-equipped Thunderbird Turbo coupe, most of our cars do one thing well, go straight fast. The Evo is like driving a full-size go cart, it will keep a smile on your face for hours. You also lose your driver's license in the first 20 minutes. If you driving Evo and you are going 50 miles an hour around a sharp corner, you can actually do 80. Most people are not actually capable of driving these cars to their full potential. Unfortunately I do not believe these cars will withstand heavy abuse for long periods of time. They are too expensive, and usually do not last very long before they begin to have problems, I do not anticipate finding an Evo with 120,000 original miles in 10 years as many of my grand national had and still could hit the elevens, but I can guarantee this the Evo will definitely Stop better. check the Internet, people are losing motors left and right, I prefer my horsepower more evenly divided than just four cylinders. Fortunately my t-tops keep me in my Trans Am year after year

hmm, this is kinda old but i found it quick n easy. and im not gonna name that dyno shop cause i dont start arguments for other people, say what you want about me buddy.
2003 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION 03 > Electrical System,Gas turbo charger
moreover, maybe this car was built on a monday. no one does their best work on mondays:biggrin: . just cause a good number of these cars have prob doesnt mean they all do, but with the history of this four cyl
MItsubishi Eclipse Walking Crankshaft Information
2G Eclipse Crankwalk
Mach V Forums - Crankwalk FAQ info updated 10-10-02
they surely fixed this prob by now but hey, what next? this should have been fixed after a model year or two, but it wasn't. if you wanna flame me and doubt me fine. i dont like that 4g63 engine in anything, any year, just my opinion. and TCLASSIC, i hope your car provides you with years of enjoyment and dependable service, as it should. i didnt mean to hijack your thread or flame your car.

oh, and hipsi, if all you wanna do is call me stupid, then keep your stupid comments to yourself. thanks.

hmm, this is kinda old but i found it quick n easy. and im not gonna name that dyno shop cause i dont start arguments for other people, say what you want about me buddy.
2003 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION 03 > Electrical System,Gas turbo charger
moreover, maybe this car was built on a monday. no one does their best work on mondays:biggrin: . just cause a good number of these cars have prob doesnt mean they all do, but with the history of this four cyl
MItsubishi Eclipse Walking Crankshaft Information
2G Eclipse Crankwalk
Mach V Forums - Crankwalk FAQ info updated 10-10-02
they surely fixed this prob by now but hey, what next? this should have been fixed after a model year or two, but it wasn't. if you wanna flame me and doubt me fine. i dont like that 4g63 engine in anything, any year, just my opinion. and TCLASSIC, i hope your car provides you with years of enjoyment and dependable service, as it should. i didnt mean to hijack your thread or flame your car.

Now what you should do is complete your search. Mitsu redesigned the thrust bearing in the last year of production for the 2g. Those are not failing. Not at any substantial rate like the earlier design.

Your well established shop or whoever it may be, obviosly does not know how to tune a mitsu engine. They are not prone to knocking if they are tuned properly. Before my 7 bolt motor went, I regularly drove around at 25 psi on pump gas.

Further more, the 4g63 in the evo is quite a bit different design anyway, it is oppisite mounted in the engine bay for starters.

wonderful, glad to hear they fixed that, what next? Fark mitsubishi, i could go on about some of their other cars, eagle vision, and the older sebring's(which is pretty much a warmed over mitsu), but i'll let that one go. and that little shot at the dyno shop owner, dennis, is why i wouldnt name him, i knew some moron would try to dirty his name and claim that he's incompetant ,etc etc. i didnt say HE couldnt get the mitsu to behave properly. im sure the new 4g63 is plenty different, but for starters ive seen front wheel drive engines mounted longitudinally instead of transverse, and they werent modified in any way. that search is by no means what i based my opinion on, dumbarse, it was a quick little thing to show some gomer to keep his mouth shut.
BUT:eek:
rereading my first post (right or wrong doesn't matter) i see that was quite the jackarse thing to say. "got a new car? this is better!". so i would like to apologize, I'm sorry TCLASSIC, and anyone else who was offended. but to those of you who decided to handle my social misstep with attacks and name calling instead of calling me on the arsitude of it, Fark you. it seems that reading a few boards and/or owning/driving two examples of said car makes you a flippin expert. life experience and uncountable tunings must mean nothing here.
BUT:eek:
i'm done with the internet arguing here, and i'm not claiming to have won, hipsi. in fact im going to concede to defeat, you're all absolute geniuses, i'm so ignorant i dont know if i can live with myself. oh if only i'd been to that board or talked to that one dude i might approach the level of expertise you all have so obviously achieved. i feel that i so incredibly deserve the flaming i'm about to recieve that i don't even have the heart to respond to it. oh poor, pitiful me.:(