The Tim Stockwell journey of taking a stock Turbo Regal and getting it into the 10's on a budget.

whitehot1

It has been awhile since i first read about this and he did it WITHOUT changing heads,cam,torque converter,transmission. He did it by getting the right combination of parts working together and tuning it.

Thought some of the new and even some of the old members would enjoy reading it again maybe or for the first time.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/Stockwell.html

My stock trans started slipping at 12.0. Don't know how that one lived all stock. Today we have O2 tracking chips, alky and excellent drag radials BUT all our electrical stuff is 30 years old.

Great read. That write up is my inspiration before I spend more money. I trapped 119.5 last November in cold air. I want to pull a 11.2 pass this year before I start making more changes. (Changed entire rear suspension & tires this winter). Haven't been to track yet..... :( I'm still using the stock intercooler, but I'm spraying M1 on 93

I also do t get the trans thing. My dad burned up 2 transmissions in his stock 87 TR in the late 80's early 90's. (Still has the car) and mine has been beat on hard and hasn't slipped or broken yet. I made 14 mid-11 low 12 sec passes in Nov hot lapping the car. I don't lock the (stock) converter and I EXPECTED to burn this trans up by now. I was waiting for that to happen before I bought a PTC converter. It has an Art Carr calibration, aux cooler and that's it. I don't get it some are pretty tough stock and some aren't??

Last edited:
I ran a stocker with a mild port on the stock head with a ta49 into the 10s and 125 mph.it needed a trans on the way there axles did well but we're wavy when I took them out.the motor did well up to 120mph but didn't like 125mph passes at 3800 lbs.inmo the budget thing only is viable if the car stays together.replacing the things you will break adds up.to keep the stock stuff together and reliable you need to keep the car well below 120 mph at full weight.my previous stocker combo went 16 years going 117 mph and 11.4 to 11.6 at 3800 lbs.

Back in 04, I went 11.19 at 121 with almost the exact same setup, but with a Vince Janis rebuilt transmission and a stock D5 converter. My run was at 28lbs of boost and 6 009 42.5lb injectors. Stockwell's write up is what motivated me to do so. Under the advise of others, and against my better judgement, I went to 55lb injectors and a double pumper. Car was an absolute pig to spool after that, and my quest to run in the 10s with a stock motor was over. Since then, I put the car mostly back to stock, and the longblock remains unopen.

That caused lots of turmoil back in the day. He was one of the "Ohio Gang" or one of "Red's Boys". Back when I was in the GSCA there was a big write up on it and was supposed to be a tear down party at Red's house to prove the doubters wrong. He is a Mustang guy now.

The only part I have a hard time believing is a bone stock trans. My buddy had a 8K mile GN and at 11.50s it was pretty much done. But you never know I guess. :) Other than that I believe the rest.

I went 10.80@124 in my factory long block 3750lb with me in it TTA. Basic bolt-ons but built trans and converter.

Yep the transmission is the item that raises a question there. I know mine would've starting slipping and burning when it was factory stock. With a modern shift kit I could see an otherwise stock trans doing it. The 3-2 control valve modification is critical IMO.

After all the talk about it he just disappeared in the Buick world and the all stock proof never surfaced. He has or did have a 5,0 that did 10's with minimal bolt ons also.

I sent Tim a pm on corral and asked him to pop in and give us the insight. I do know a couple of Buicks that have made several 7 and high 6 1/8th passes with Art Carr shift kits in stock trans.

Hi guys....... I was asked to pop in and answer some questions if I could....

And the stock proof was the teardown...... about a dozen people including a few doubters went to Norwalk and met me there.... I made two passes.... 10.81 and 10.92....the car was loaded up and taken straight to Red Armstrongs house and locked in his garage...we all came back the next day and pulled motor and transmission.....everything was checked by Red including cylinder bore, cam lift and duration, original bearings and original head gaskets and bolts, original date coded D5 converter, and original 200r4 unmodified and never rebuilt, just a couple clicks on the cable. Even the biggest doubter of all was there and went over the car top to bottom, watched Red mic and inspect every part, and had no choice but to say it was completely as stated....... this was all documented and pictures taken, and the teardown was on the cover of the GSX-TRA in 1996........ 100% legit as claimed..........no doubt.

Good to hear from you Tim. I used your info. and recommendations back in the day. Went 11.51 back in the day with ta-60 . Thanks for all the phone conversations I gave you! Was always good getting info from the guru! Hope all is going good!

Thanks Tim! I had left the GSCA before the teardown came out. I knew you were the source to hear from.